Re: martian-modem - low speed after update

A special thanks to all the people involved in the Linmodems project for
helping to make Linux more viable than that other OS!

If anyone can help with this, it would really be appreciated:

Using martian-full-20080625, CONNECT 31200 V44 is the best I can get.
(kernel 2.6.22.12 Mandriva 2008, 2.6.27.5 or 2.6.28 Mandriva 2009)

Previous martian version 20071011, on Mandriva 2006, 2007 and 2008
typically connects at CONNECT 50,666 V44. (all kernels up to 2.6.22.12)

CONNECT 50,666 on Mandriva 2009 seems possible ONLY using old martian
20071011 driver, and old kernel 2.6.22.12 (from Mandriva 2008), grafted
into Mandriva 2009.

Obviously I don't *want* to use 2.6.22.12 in Mandriva 2009, as it causes
other problems, but as I only have dial-up connection and work online
lots (I run xanjax.org project) I really need a decent connect speed.

What I would really like to do for now (if it's possible) is patch
kernel 2.6.28 so it's possible to use the old version of martian drivers
with it. Does anyone know what changed, and at what kernel version, so
that the new version of martian drivers was needed?

Developers: Alexei or other martian developers, I live so close to the
exchange that my connection speed is always reliable, making it very
obvious if the driver is working correctly or not. I am very willing to
help test any changes you make - please just email me. Hopefully you
have a handle on the problem and will have a fix soon. If I may be so
bold as to make a suggestion: I'm guessing that the new kernel IO
handler for userspace defaults to asynch which would add the equivalent
of line noise to the signal (due to aliasing) and I have a hunch that
using synch instead might solve this issue.

Jacques and anyone else: If you need working binaries for any of the
combinations mentioned above please email me. It would be best if these
were made available to everyone on the linmodems site.

Finally, if anyone knows how to get a successful *make all* on martian
20071011 driver with gcc 4.2 or later, please do tell. I'm still using
the userspace binary from some early compilation because I can only
compile the kernel modules since gcc 4.2 (errors asm/page.h missing,
page_size and page_shift undeclared when trying to compile userspace binary)