Devon Brewer, USA, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic

A few weeks ago, Jacques and Antonio went to a lot of trouble to help me troubleshoot a modem connection with an Ubuntu 8.04 system (installed to the whole disk over Win Vista).  With their help, I got that connection working for a relative of mine.

Another friend wanted me to do the same thing with his computer.  My friend's machine was running XP.  I checked that the modem worked (connection established, web browsing successful) under XP with the ISP that I use for testing.  Then I installed Ubuntu 8.04 on the whole disk.  Now I'm having problems getting this modem to connect, but the problems seem to be different than those from the prior system.

First, I ran ScanModem.  From the initial output, it seemed that the IRQ was wrong, and after trying the various options, I finally got that set correctly (through the BIOS).  Then I ran ScanModem again (I've run it several times further after tinkering with the problems I describe below, but there's no change to the output).  Here's the ModemText output (see below the output for more description of the problem and my failed attempts to fix):

PU=i686,
Linux version 2.6.24-19-generic (buildd@palmer) (gcc version 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)) #1 SMP Wed Jun 18 14:43:41 UTC 2008
 scanModem update of:  2008_11_06

 There are no blacklisted modem drivers in /etc/modprobe*  files
Attached USB devices are:
 ID 090c:1000 Feiya Technology Corp. Memory Bar
 ID 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp. 8-in-1 Media Card Reader
 ID 0a81:0101 Chesen Electronics Corp. Keyboard

USB modems not recognized

For candidate card in slot 02:05.0, firmware information and bootup diagnostics are:
 PCI slot	PCI ID		SubsystemID	Name
 ----------	---------	---------	--------------
 02:05.0	11c1:048c	11c1:044c	Communication controller: Agere Systems V.92 56K WinModem

 Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
 --- Bootup diagnostics for card in PCI slot 02:05.0 ----

=== Finished firmware and bootup diagnostics, next deducing cogent software. ===

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 02:05.0:
	Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Communication controller: Agere Systems V.92 56K WinModem "
CLASS=0780
PCIDEV=11c1:048c
SUBSYS=11c1:044c
IRQ=11
IDENT=Agere.SV2P

 For candidate modem in:  02:05.0
   0780 Communication controller: Agere Systems V.92 56K WinModem
      Primary device ID:  11c1:048c
 Support type needed or chipset:	Agere.SV2P

----------------end Softmodem section --------------

 Vendor 11c1 is Lucent Technologies with modem technology now under LSI Inc.
Their Linux  code developer/maintainer is Soumyendu Sarkar. Support for a chipset and its
 continued maintenance is only initiated at the request of a major chipset buyer,
 or comparable sponsor. Several different  modem chipset types  are produced:
 with varying support under Linux.
 Device ID   Support        Name           Comment
 ---------   -------------  -----------    -----------------------------
 0480        serial_drivers Venus           controller chipset 1673JV7
 0440-045d   martian        Mars/Apollo     DSP (digital signal processing) chipsets
 0462        none           56K.V90/ADSL Wildwire
 048d none           	    SV2P            soft modem
 048(c or f) AGRSM          SV2P            soft modem
 0600        none           soft modem, very few in the field.
 0620        AGRSM          Pinball  soft modem, in some HP desktop PCs
 011c11040   AGRSM          hosted on High Definition Audio cards
 062(1-3)    none           SV92PP,Pinball  soft modem, in some HP desktop PCs

martian - At http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/kernel-2.6/martian/
AGRSM - At http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/11c11040/
  Compiling resources for a driver module pair: agrmodem.ko + agrserial.ko
  Use the  agrsm-HDA-20080721-ALSA15.tar.bz2 or agrsm-HDA-20080721.tar.bz2
  Read the agrsm_howto.txt.  For 11c11040 chips, also the HOWTO-Agere-11c11040-HDA.html

-------------- end Agere Systems section -------------------

 Completed candidate modem analyses.

 The base of the UDEV device file system is: /dev/.udev

 Versions adequately match for the compiler installed: 4.2.3
             and the compiler used in kernel assembly: 4.2.3

 Minimal compiling resources appear complete:
   make utility - /usr/bin/make
   Compiler version 4.2
   linuc_headers base folder /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/build

 However some compilations and executable functions may need additional files,
 in the FileNames.h (so called kernel "h"eaders) collection installed in  /usr/include/ .
 For martian_modem, additional required packages are needed. The also required headers of package libc6 are commonly installed by default.
 Compiling hsfmodem drivers does require linux-libc-dev and libc6-dev packages, for kernels 2.6.24 and later versions.
 In not included on your install CD, search for them at http://packages.ubuntu.com
 or comparable Repository for other Linux distros.
 When compiling ALSA drivers, the utility "patch" will also be needed.

If a driver compilation fails, with message including some lack of some FileName.h (stdio.h for example), then
Some additional kernel-header files need installation to /usr/include. The minimal additional packages are libc6-dev
and any of its dependents, under Ubuntu linux-libc-dev

If an alternate ethernet connection is available,
$  apt-get update
$  apt-get -s install linux-kernel-devel
will install needed packages.
For Debian/Ubuntu related distributions, run the following command to display the needed package list:

Otherwise packages have to be found through http://packages.ubuntu.com
Once downloaded and transferred into a Linux partition,
they can be installed alltogether with:
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Checking pppd properties:
	-rwsr-xr-- 1 root dip 269256 2007-10-04 12:57 /usr/sbin/pppd

In case of an "error 17" "serial loopback" problem, see:
    http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/linmodems/archive-sixth/msg02637.html

To enable dialout without Root permission do:
	$ su - root  (not for Ubuntu)
        sudo chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
or under Ubuntu related Linuxes
	sudo chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd

Checking settings of:	/etc/ppp/options
asyncmap 0
noauth
crtscts
lock
hide-password
modem
proxyarp
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4
noipx

In case of a message like:
   Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied
see http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-sixth/msg04656.html

Read Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt concerning other COMM channels: eth0 eth1
Which can interfere with Browser naviagation.

 Don't worry about the following, it is for experts should trouble shooting be necessary.

 Checking for modem support lines:
 --------------------------------------
     /device/modem symbolic link:
slmodemd created symbolic link /dev/ttySL0:
     Within /etc/udev/ files:

     Within /etc/modprobe.conf files:
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# Uncomment these entries in order to blacklist unwanted modem drivers
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# blacklist snd-atiixp-modem
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# blacklist snd-via82xx-modem
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
     Within any ancient /etc/devfs files:

     Within ancient kernel 2.4.n /etc/module.conf files:

--------- end modem support lines --------

>From this output, it seemed like I needed to download the agrsm-HDA-20080721-ALSA15.tar.bz2 or agrsm-HDA-20080721.tar.bz2 files at the Linmodems site.  I went to the site and found agrsm-20080808-ALSA18.tar.bz2 and also agrsm-ubuntu8.04.1-2.6.24-19-generic.tar.  I downloaded both and copied and extracted them to the desktop on the Ubuntu system.  I couldn't find a setup program for the first bundle of files, but I did run the setup application for the latter generic bundle of files.

I tried using the Network connection tool (the icon of two computers linked to each other at the upper right of the desktop screen) to configure the modem, trying to follow everything I learned from Jacques and Antonio previously.  (I also commented out the prohibition against "password" as a password in the secrets file).

It seems that the usr/modem directory or file is missing in my system (I've looked for it and can't find it).  This is the output from wvdialconf:

carl@carl-desktop:~$ sudo wvdialconf
Editing `/etc/wvdial.conf'.

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

ttyS0<Info>: Device or resource busy
Modem Port Scan<*1>: S0   S1   S2   S3

Sorry, no modem was detected!  Is it in use by another program?
Did you configure it properly with setserial?

Please read the FAQ at http://open.nit.ca/wiki/?WvDial

If you still have problems, send mail to <wvdial-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>.

Do any of you have suggestions about what I need to do?

Thank you very much!

Devon

P.S. After receiving such generous help last time, I looked for a way to donate to the Linmodems effort but couldn't find any.  Do you have a mechanism for accepting donations?