Re: Warning with Ubuntu crap

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Jacques Goldberg
<Jacques.Goldberg@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear friends,
> I know that this is off-list because the relation to modems is weak.

Wiping off wrong partitions is indeed a very frustrating experience, I
agree. But I think it is a little bit harsh to call Ubuntu crap
because of that. I have never tried to install Ubuntu on USB flash
disk, but otherwise I have worked with Ubuntu for several years and
had no such situations or other bad surprises. I think Ubuntu is doing
pretty good work.

And by the way, I saw a mention of Ubuntu users having problems with
Agere HDA modems (which I also have). I don't think it is precisely
correct to call it Ubuntu problem. It is just a new kernel, and all
Linux distributions try to ship "latest and greatest" kernel, and
adapting modem drivers is continous and needed effort. Also, I would
like to help all people who devote their time and energy in making
winmodems work under Linux.

--
Timur Irmatov, xmpp:irmatov@xxxxxxxxx