11c11040 (agrsm) and USB timeouts

Hallo,
  I am experimenting about the Linux compatibility of a particular USB
modem.

The modem has Vendor ID:Product ID = 047e:2892.  From this piece of
information and various other sources, I gathered that the suitable
driver would be "agrsm".

So, I compiled a vanilla 2.6.27.7 kernel (ALSA 1.0.17) after adding the
EXPORT_SYMBOLs to hda_codec.c as detailed in
HOWTO-Agere-11c11040-HDA.html; downloaded and compiled
agrsm-HDA-20080721.tar.bz2; copied the agr*.ko modules in place, created
the device node, booted, modprobed, and tried to access the modem
through /dev/ttyAGS3 with minicom and pppd, only to get a "No such
device" error.

Some investigations led to the discovery of the NONGPL switch in
agrsoftmodem.c: from what I've seen, support for USB modems was disabled
some time ago, and can be successfully reenabled only for kernels prior
to 2.6.25.

So I switched to a vanilla 2.6.24.7 (the highest pre-2.6.25 version),
compiled agrsm-HDA-20080721-ALSA15.tar.bz2 (as the ALSA version in that
kernel is 1.0.15), and went through the above routine again.  This time,
after modprobing agr*.ko, a whole new lot of previously unseen
USB-related debug output showed up in dmesg, which I interpreted as a
good sign.  In fact, I was able to access the modem and establish a PPP
session.  I could even manage an inbound connection with mgetty.

However, after a little more testing, the modem ceased to respond, while
dmesg revealed a timeout on the USB bus:

 [...]
 Bulk Patch downloaded already!
 USS_CMD_CHANGE_CLK command passed
 Usb_BoostArmClock(): ARMCDR Reg= e, clock running @ 16 Mhz
 BALA IsoUsb_StartIsoDma
 usb 1-1: mgetty timed out on ep0out len=0/0
 reset enpoint 0x1 retVal -110
 usb 1-1: mgetty timed out on ep0out len=0/0
 reset enpoint 0x81 retVal -110
 x_usb_start_dma pRecDmabuffer c0da8220 pPlayDmabuffer c0da8e20
 [...]

Further connection attempts caused the machine to hang with a "not
syncing: fatal exception in interrupt" kernel panic.

This behaviour is quite reproducible: boot the machine, use the modem
for a while for inbound and outbound connections, and the kernel will go
bananas.

Having some experience with isochronous transfers in other USB devices,
I am inclined to think that such timeouts as the one reported in dmesg
are usually caused by buggy hardware rather than a buggy driver.
Could this be my case?  Or have I just stumbled upon a known bug in the
agrsm driver?  Or maybe dial-in and dial-out don't mix well on this kind
of hardware?
Could someone share his/her (in)success story?

Also, to let me gain some more insight, could someone confirm that
snd-hda-intel.ko is not really needed in the USB modem case, although
agrmodem.ko depends on it?

Many thanks,
 David