Re: help request

--- On Mon, 11/10/08, myk <footso@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: myk <footso@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: help request
> To: discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Monday, November 10, 2008, 7:53 PM
> hi,
>
> attached is the ModemData.txt generated from my computer
> running Hardy Heron. the modem is a Motorola sm56.
>
> don't know if i read the txt correctly .
> i downloaded SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz , unpacked it with
> Archive Manager , extracting to my home folder.
>
> is this all that's required before modem setup ?
>
> i set up the modem with command : 'sudo slmodemd -c USA
> --alsa hw:0,6'
>
> i use KPPP as a dialer , that's the only one that
> detects the modem.
>
> when dialing , it'll try attempt after attempt , each
> time resulting only in a NO CARRIER message.
>
> the modem worked under Gutsy Gibbon with SLMODEMD.gcc4.1 ,
> i upgraded to Heron last night and i couldn't connect
> with 4.1 which is when i tried the scanmodem.
>
> your help is greatly appreciated . thank you

myk,

Your choice about getting SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz was correct as scanModem outputs:

 For candidate modem in:  00:1b.0
   0403 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G
      Primary device ID:  8086:27d8
    Subsystem PCI_id  107b:0366
    Softmodem codec or chipset from diagnostics: 0x10573057
                               from    Archives:
                        The HDA card softmodem chip is 0x10573057

Support type needed or chipset:	slmodemd supporting the snd-hda-intel audio+modem driver

 An ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) modem driver:  snd-hda-intel
 provides Low Level support enabling contact with the modem hardware.
 For all BUT Conexant chip soft modems (using hsfmodem software)
 complementary High Level support is through a Smartlink utility:  slmodemd

 Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
 the package SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz having a compiled slmodemd. Unpack under Linux with:
 	$ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz
 and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
 	sudo slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa hw:0,6
 reporting dynamic creation of ports:
	/dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
 Read DOCs/Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow through guidance.

If you tried connecting with wvdial all you needed was add the line "Carrier Check = no" and possibly "Stupid Mode = 1", but since you are using KPPP, you will have to check the option Keep dialing till you connect which is equivalent to Carrier Check = no

Actually the option is:

"Automatic redial on NO CARRIER"

I had a little howto for slax when I used KPPP before it worked for me, hope that it does for you.  The old slax howto uses kppp and it is here in case you need to see the option graphically.

http://www.geocities.com/olivares14031/slmodemd-on-slax.html

HTH,

Antonio