Re: ModemData file for ES2898 Modem on Linux 2.4.20-8smp

You appear to have two modems one external/serial?

 scanModem update of:  2008_08_26
The modem symbolic link is /dev/modem -> /dev/ttyS0

and another the ESS one

For candidate card in slot 03:00.0, firmware information and bootup diagnostics are:
 PCI slot	PCI ID		SubsystemID	Name
 ----------	---------	---------	--------------
 03:00.0	125d:2898	148d:1030	Communication controller: ESS Technology ES2898 Modem

There is ESS code, but I do not know that it will work for 2.4 kernels?

will relay this to discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

[root@localhost DOCs]# cat ESScom.txt

 Vendor=125d is ESS Technologies, http://www.esstech.com/
 The PCI id 125d:2898 modems are  under 2.6.n kernels.

 The driver resources for 125d:2898 modems should be downloaded
 from http://tx.technion.ac.il/~raindel/ess_2.6-v0.3.tar.gz , benefitting
 from an update by Jeff Trull. There are brief instructions at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=185079
 Under Linux, unpack with:
 $ tar zxf ess_2.6-v0.3.tar.gz
 Move into the folder wit:
 $ cd ess_2.6-v0.3
 Browse the files therein and run as Root the:
 $  ./setup

 The setup program creates a port:
 $ ls -l /dev/ttyS_ESS0
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 62, 64 2006-09-23 23:08 /dev/ttyS_ESS0
 and a symbolic link to it:
   /dev/modem --> /dev/ttyS_ESS0
 Specify either /dev/modem or /dev/ttyS_ESS0 as the modem port for dialer utilities.
 A file is installed:
   /etc/udev/rules.d/ess.rules  , with line:
     "KERNEL=\"ttyS_ESS0\", SYMLINK=\"modem\""
 which supports automated port creation during driver loading.

 If the drivers do not autoload during bootup, they can be loaded by:
 $  modprobe esscom
 after which the driver interdependencies can be displayed by:
   $ lsmod | grep esscom
   esscom                 16580  0
   esscom_hw             421328  1 esscom
   linmodems             345678  2 esscom esscom_hw

 The modem should be found by:
 $   wvdialconf  wvtest
 See DOCs/wvdial.txt and DOCs/Testing.txt for follow through details.
 ===============
 For 2.4.n Linux kernels and are there some kludges of fading utility:
   http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/archive-fourth/msg00317.html   (2004Feb08)
   http://andrew.cait.org/ess/
   http://sidlo.penguin.cz/ES2838/index_en.html
   http://tx.technion.ac.il/~raindel/
   http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/linmodems/archive/msg04424.html

  There was only formal support under for Linux for kernels 2.2.2.
 ====== end ESS.com section =======

[root@localhost DOCs]#

Regards,

Antonio