Re: Building snd-hda-intel.ko for kernel 2.6.24-21

Hi,
That was built using the kernel sources provided by Ubuntu, through the
package manager. For a config, you may also want to see if your kernel
creates /proc/config.gz, which (should) also contain the config of the
running kernel.

You will need to be wary of which version of the kernel sources you
install- they should match the running kernel EXACTLY without the need
for any changing of version numbers.

IF that still doesn't help, then please try obtaining the source tarball
alsa-driver version 1.0.17 from alsa-project.org/ and building it- if
you can successfully build it, then there may be another solution.
Bjorn.

Pierre Habraken wrote:
> [...]
> being not selected at all.
> So, I tried 'make menuconfig', but I probably omitted to select some
> other required modules or options.
>
> The problem I am faced to is mainly : how to re-compile and install a
> given updated module without changing anything else in the current
> kernel release ?
> I assume that this is possible since it was done against the Ubuntu
> package linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic, the result being shipped in
> package agrsm-ubuntu8.04.1-2.6.24-19-generic.tar.gz at
> http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/11c11040.
> My question is thus: how did people at linmodems.org build the module
> snd-hda-intel.ko which resides in the latter package ?
>
> Pierre
>

> Bjorn Wielens wrote:
>> To avoid the config issue, I'd suggest issuing the command 'make
>> oldconfig'   in /usr/src/linux instead of copying the /boot/config file.
>> This clones the RUNNING kernel's config.
>>
>> Also, you will likely need to issue 'make modules-install' as opposed to
>> just copying the snd-hda-intel.ko module, since you are building a
>> different version than the pre-built- the modules will be incompatible
>> with your old kernel and modules, so you will need to copy them all, and
>> likely also do a make and make bzImage... ending by booting the kernel
>> you've just built.
>>
>> I'm not familiar with the processes for Ubuntu, as I use SuSE.
>> If you can get sources for the currently running kernel (with the exact
>> same patches etc) as opposed to just generic ones for 2.6.24, you should
>> be able to use these and there will be no need to completely compile the
>> kernel or reinstall ALL modules.
>>
>> Since SuSE provides kernel sources patched EXACTLY to the running
>> kernel, I have no experience with the above, and YMMV.
>>
>> Bjorn.
>>

>> Pierre Habraken wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I recently installed with success modules snd-hda-intel.ko, agrmodem.ko
>>> and agrserial.ko on my laptop hp 6720s running Ubuntu 8.04 with kernel
>>> 2.6.24-19-generic, thanks to this mailing list (and especially with help
>>>  from Antonio Olivares and Marvin Stodolsky).
>>>
>>> Since that time I had to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.24-21-generic, in
>>> order to get the wireless link (broadcom) working.
>>> The latter is now ok but not surprisingly the modem does not work any
>>> longer.
>>>
>>> As I absolutely need both types of connection (modem and wireless), I am
>>> trying to re-build the sound and modem modules, but could not success
>>> for now.
>>>
>>> I installed on the laptop the Ubuntu package linux-source-2.6.24, and
>>> after unpacking it in /usr/src I followed instructions given at
>>> http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/11c11040/HOWTO-Agere-11c11040-HDA.html,
>>>
>>> starting at step 1:
>>>
>>> 1. Check ALSA version: the ALSA driver version is the 1.0.16.
>>> 2. Patch file /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.24/sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c as
>>> stated.
>>> 3.1.1: Copy /boot/config-2.6.24-21-generic as
>>> /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.24/.config. CONFIG_SND is not set in this
>>> file: this is not consistent with the 2.6.24-21-generic kernel (in its
>>> initial state), since sound is working...
>>> 3.1.2: Change version number in /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.24/Makefile:
>>> EXTRAVERSION = -21-generic
>>> 3.2.: make menuconfig : select ALSA -> PCI -> Intel HD Audio, with
>>> support for all HDA codecs listed (every features as modules).
>>> 3.3.: make modules
>>> 3.4.: Copy /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.24/sound/pci/hda/snd_hda_intel.ko