Re: Fwd: Intel536ep and kernel 2.6.26

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Jeff Pohlmeyer wrote:

Based on Jeff's modifications, I built a new 536EP
driver code for kernel 2.6.26 whose source dated
2008/08/12 you can download from
http://vouters.dyndns.org:8080/Intel/

It builds just as fine under 2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686.

Hello, Philippe -

Thanks for the update...

I am getting a compiler error here running Arch Linux
kernel 2.6.26.2, in coredrv.c lines 754 and 746:
Error: 'proc_root_driver' undeclared.

That should have been one of the changes in the patch. Is that not related to this new define and declaration?

#define PROC_ROOT_ADDR &proc_root

Did you patch an older source? Did the patch apply clean, all parts?

It builds and runs fine here. Actually, I'm connected now with it on a vanilla 2.6.26.2 compiled a few hours ago. From what I can tell, there are about 3-4 versions of this about.

  - One gives an ISO C warning, one compiles clean, both work.

- I didn't hit the above error at all, so those versions are likely different.

A few points:

Did Intel abandonned this? After all, it really is proprietry code. A few kernel versions ago, the kernel devs thought it a good idea to make the kernel clam up and not export some symbols when the license was anything other than a GPL or equal license. The simple fix was change the prop. to GPL, and I see #ifdef's for this in the code. If Intel did abandon this, then probably it should have its license reworded as people have been hacking on it as if it was GPL/open source.

The build system is very clunky and messy, with voodoo about copying some /boot/vmlinuz.version.h oddity over the kernel source. The source makes the kernel, not the kernel makes the source. IMO, the binary kernel comes from the source at /usr/src/linux-* period. Beyond that it's up to the user. There's also non-conventional stuff like 'makefile' instead of 'Makefile' in the top level, but not in the secondary levels. Also it relies on bash, instead of 'sh'.

Many of the .c, .txt, and .h files, including the Makefiles, are set-bit executable when they aren't executable files.

A git repo would be nice for this. I've for the facilities for it, but not really the bandwidth (remember, I'm using a 536ep ISP rate-limited down to avg. 2-6 Kbps :-( ). Probably others have better connections. I say git instead of SVN because SVN is nasty to build, requiring specific out-dated versions of various packages to compile. It did not like my Apache's apr-* utilities, and I wasn't going to install two sets of the same thing.

My local copy with Jeff's patch & a few minor changes:

git-clone git://atr2.ath.cx/intel-536EP-2.56.76.0.git

I never use the 'install' target - just compile, cp in place, modprobe it, start the hamregistry, then use /dev/536ep or whatever as the modem access file (character device, major 240, minor 1).