DIagnostic and Archive differences, Re: Eric Gilbert, Australia kernel 2.6.24-19-generic

Antonio,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Within the scanModem  internal archive, there is an entry in the
 11c11040 chipset lone of  1043:1339

However Eric's on PC diagnostic:
/proc/asound/card0/codec#1
Codec: Motorola Si3054
Address: 1
Vendor Id: 0x10573055

is unquestionable more reliable than the archive.  There are now two
cases of this conflict type in the archive for Subsystems under the
primary PCI ID , 8086:284b of the High Definition Audio (HDA) card.
# 17aa:384e assigned to both 10573055 and 11c11040 modem chips
# 1043:1339 assigned to both 10573055 and 11c11040 modem chips.
-----------
To me this indicates that the HDA card Assembler is primary concerned
with a consistent identification of the Audio components, and doesn't
care about the more minor modem component.  After finishing his batch
of modem 10573055 chips, the Assembler likely switched to the newer
11c11040 modem chips.  So long as the Audio chip component of the
Subsystem was not yet changed, likely Assembler didn't both changing
the SubSystem ID

The modem chip identifier:
Vendor Id: 0x10573055
is read from firmware on the HDA card subsystem , and suffices for
calls of the correct software under Microsoft.
As Sasha long ago related, the diverse softmodem chips have only minor
functionality beyond calling the correct software.  It is the called
software running on the CPU that does the major work. This is why
Sasha's single slmodemd modem helper under Linux is competent for a
broad array of softmodem chips, even though under Microsoft each
different softmodem chip calls for software from its own manufacturer.

I'll write  a scanModem subroutine to explicit relate these conflicts
in the future.

MarvS

MarvS