Re: Modem Not Recognized (Ubuntu 8.04) 11c11040

Hi Bjorn,

I have attached the lsmod output and ModemData

The Sound Card is : Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family)
HD Audio Controller (rev 03) -> according to lspci

Many thanks for your help.

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 13:28 -0300, Bjorn Wielens wrote:
> [...]
> >                                         scanModem maintainer
> >                                         ====================
> >                                         From
> >         http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads-ubuntu-x86.php
> >                                         download
> >         hsfmodem-7.68.00.12full_k2.6.24_19_generic_ubuntu_i386.deb.zip
> >                                         Under Linux unpack with:
> >                                          $ unzip hsfmodem*.zip
> >                                          Then install with:
> >                                          $ sudo dpkg -i hsfmodem*.deb
> >                                          Subsequently, the modem should be found with
> >                                          $ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
> >                                          Edit in your personal information with:
> >                                          $ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
> >                                          and try dialing out with:
> >                                          $ sudo wvdial.
> >                                          See DOCs/Testing.txt  for details.
> >                                          Read DOCs/Conexant.txt
> >
> >                                         On 7/19/08, Antonio Olivares
> >                 <olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >                                                 A pci modem was not identified as scanModem
> >                 reports you could try to do the
> >                                                 following:
> >
> >                                                 <quote>
> >                                                 High Definition Audio (HDA) cards MAY host a
> >                 modem chip in their Subsystem,
> >                                                 and many are supported by the ALSA
> >                 audio+modem driver snd-hda-intel
> >                                                 A modem was not detected on HDA card
> >                 8086:284b.
> >                                                 If another modem card is present, then most
> >                 likely 8086:284b does not host
> >                                                 a mo
> >                                                 dem.
> >                                                  If another modem card has not been detected,
> >                 then possibilities are:
> >                                                 1) A Conexant modem chip is present
> >                 on 8086:284b, as Conexant chips
> >                                                 are frequently not detectable by ALSA
> >                 diagnostics
> >                                                 2) The modem may be of the older
> >                 non-PCI Controller Chipset
> >                                                 (hardware) t
> >                                                 ype.
> >                                                 Try detection with Root permission:
> >                                                          wvdialconf  /etc/wvdial.conf
> >                                                 </quote>
> >
> >                                                 or try the Windows method if you have
> >                 windows****
> >                                                 <quote>
> >                                                 If an alternative boot into Microsoft windows
> >                 can be done, do mouse
> >                                                 clicks on:
> >                                                    Start > Settings > Control Panel >
> >                 Classical View (for Window XP) >
> >                                                 System
> >                                                         Hardware > Device Manager > Modems > Click
> >                 on the + > Modem. Double click
> >                                                 expand the graphic. Manufacturer information
> >                 may be displayed. For example,
> >                                                 CXT
> >                                                 stands for Conexant. Click the Diagnostics
> >                 Tab. Record any hardware ID or
> >                                                 vendor
> >                                                 and device information. From the Driver
> >                 Details TAB, copy out the VENdor and
> >                                                 DEVice information.
> >                                                 Next do the Query Modem and record the ATI
> >                 specifications displayed such as:
> >                                                 ATI3 - Agere SoftModem Version 2.1.22
> >                                                     ATI5 - 2.1.22, AMR Intel MB, AC97 ID:SIL
> >                 REV:0x27
> >                                                 Try to identify the modem setup file, with
> >                 name perhaps MODEM.INF.
> >                                                 If may contain chipset Vendor informaton.

Module                  Size  Used by
vboxdrv                77504  1
isofs                  36388  1
udf                    88612  0
wlan_ccmp               9728  2
af_packet              23812  4
i915                   32512  2
drm                    82452  3 i915
binfmt_misc            12808  1
rfcomm                 41744  2
l2cap                  25728  13 rfcomm
bluetooth              61156  4 rfcomm,l2cap
pppol2tp               25868  0
pppox                   4876  1 pppol2tp
ppp_generic            29588  2 pppol2tp,pppox
slhc                    7040  1 ppp_generic
ppdev                  10372  0
ipv6                  267780  12
acpi_cpufreq           10796  2
cpufreq_conservative     8712  0
cpufreq_ondemand        9740  1
cpufreq_stats           7104  0
freq_table              5536  3 acpi_cpufreq,cpufreq_ondemand,cpufreq_stats
cpufreq_powersave       2688  0
cpufreq_userspace       5284  0
dock                   11280  0
container               5632  0
sbs                    15112  0
sbshc                   7680  1 sbs
iptable_filter          3840  0
ip_tables              14820  1 iptable_filter
x_tables               16132  1 ip_tables
wlan_scan_sta          14976  1
ath_rate_sample        16128  1
ath_pci               193452  0
wlan                  252528  5 wlan_ccmp,wlan_scan_sta,ath_rate_sample,ath_pci
ath_hal               280416  3 ath_rate_sample,ath_pci
parport_pc             36260  0
lp                     12324  0
parport                37832  3 ppdev,parport_pc,lp
joydev                 13120  0
snd_hda_intel         344728  12
uvcvideo               58116  0
snd_pcm_oss            42144  0
snd_mixer_oss          17920  1 snd_pcm_oss
compat_ioctl32          2304  1 uvcvideo
snd_pcm                78596  5 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
videodev               29440  1 uvcvideo
v4l1_compat            15492  2 uvcvideo,videodev
v4l2_common            18304  2 uvcvideo,videodev
usbhid                 32128  0
hid                    38784  1 usbhid
snd_page_alloc         11400  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd_hwdep              10500  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_seq_dummy           4868  0
snd_seq_oss            35584  0
snd_seq_midi            9376  0
ac                      6916  0
snd_rawmidi            25760  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event      8320  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
battery                14212  0
snd_seq                54224  6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer              24836  5 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device          9612  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd                    56996  29 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
intel_agp              25492  1
acer_acpi              18112  0
led_class               6020  1 acer_acpi
video                  19856  0
output                  4736  1 video
psmouse                40336  0
serio_raw               7940  0
wmi_acer                9644  1 acer_acpi
evdev                  13056  6
button                  9232  0
shpchp                 34452  0
pci_hotplug            30880  1 shpchp
agpgart                34760  3 drm,intel_agp
pcspkr                  4224  0
iTCO_wdt               13092  0
iTCO_vendor_support     4868  1 iTCO_wdt
soundcore               8800  1 snd
ext3                  136712  1
jbd                    48404  1 ext3
mbcache                 9600  1 ext3
sg                     36880  0
sd_mod                 30720  3
sr_mod                 17956  1
cdrom                  37408  1 sr_mod
usb_storage            73664  0
libusual               19108  1 usb_storage
ata_piix               19588  4
ata_generic             8324  0
pata_acpi               8320  0
libata                159344  3 ata_piix,ata_generic,pata_acpi
scsi_mod              151436  5 sg,sd_mod,sr_mod,usb_storage,libata
ehci_hcd               37900  0
tg3                   116228  0
uhci_hcd               27024  0
usbcore               146028  7 uvcvideo,usbhid,usb_storage,libusual,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
thermal                16796  0
processor              37384  4 acpi_cpufreq,thermal
fan                     5636  0
fbcon                  42912  0
tileblit                3456  1 fbcon
font                    9472  1 fbcon
bitblit                 6784  1 fbcon
softcursor              3072  1 bitblit
fuse                   50708  3

 Only plain text email is forwarded by the  Discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx List Server,
 as HTML can contain viruses. Use as the email Subject Line:
           YourName, YourCountry  kernel 2.6.24-20-generic
 With this Subject Line cogent experts will be alerted, and useful case names left in the Archive.
 YourCountry will enable Country specific guidance. Linux experts in YourCountry
 can be found through: http://www.linux.org/groups/index.html.
They will know your Country's modem code, which may be essential for dialup service.
 So in a day, also check the Archived responses at http://www.linmodems.org
--------------------------  System information ----------------------------
CPU=i686,
Linux version 2.6.24-20-generic (buildd@rothera) (gcc version 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)) #1 SMP Mon Jul 28 13:49:52 UTC 2008
 scanModem update of:  2008_07_29
The modem symbolic link is /dev/modem -> ttySL0
 There are no blacklisted modem drivers in /etc/modprobe*  files
Attached USB devices are:
 ID 064e:a101 Suyin Corp.
 ID 0bda:0158 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
 ID 04f2:0522 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd

USB modems not recognized

For candidate card in slot 00:1b.0, firmware information and bootup diagnostics are:
 PCI slot	PCI ID		SubsystemID	Name
 ----------	---------	---------	--------------
 00:1b.0	8086:284b	1025:0135	Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H

 Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
 23:        580        584   IO-APIC-fasteoi   HDA Intel
 --- Bootup diagnostics for card in PCI slot 00:1b.0 ----
[   39.642758] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1b.0[A] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 23
[   39.642793] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1b.0 to 64

===== Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) diagnostics =====
The ALSA packages provide audio support and also drivers for some modems.
ALSA diagnostics are written during bootup to /proc/asound/ folders.

The ALSA verion is 1.0.16.
The modem cards detected by "aplay -l"  are: None

The /proc/asound/pcm file reports:
-----------------------
00-02: ALC268 Analog : ALC268 Analog : capture 1
00-01: ALC268 Digital : ALC268 Digital : playback 1
00-00: ALC268 Analog : ALC268 Analog : playback 1 : capture 1

about /proc/asound/cards:
------------------------
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xfc200000 irq 23

 PCI slot 00:1b.0 has a High Definition Audio Card
 The drivers are in the kernel modules tree at:
 /lib/modules/2.6.24-20-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko
 The modem codec file for the HDA card is: /proc/asound/card0/codec#1
Codec: Generic 11c1 ID 1040
Address: 1
Vendor Id: 0x11c11040
Subsystem Id: 0x10250100
Revision Id: 0x100200
Modem Function Group: 0x1

 The audio card hosts a softmodem chip:  0x11c11040
If not a Conexant modem, the driver agrmodem+agrserial with its dependent drivers:

----------
provide audio + modem support with the modem chip residing on the subsystem.
Any particular card can host any one of several soft modem chips.

=== Finished firmware and bootup diagnostics, next deducing cogent software. ===

Predictive diagnostics for card in bus 00:1b.0:
	Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H "
CLASS=0403
PCIDEV=8086:284b
SUBSYS=1025:0135
IRQ=23
HDA=8086:284b
SOFT=8086:284b.HDA
CHIP=0x11c11040
IDENT=agrsm

 For candidate modem in:  00:1b.0
   0403 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H
      Primary device ID:  8086:284b
    Subsystem PCI_id  1025:0135
    Softmodem codec or chipset from diagnostics: 0x11c11040
                               from    Archives:
                        The HDA card softmodem chip is 0x11c11040

Support type needed or chipset:	agrsm

----------------end Softmodem section --------------

Writing DOCs/Intel.txt

 Completed candidate modem analyses.

 The base of the UDEV device file system is: /dev/.udev

 Versions adequately match for the compiler installed: 4.2.3
             and the compiler used in kernel assembly: 4.2.3

 Minimal compiling resources appear complete:
   make utility - /usr/bin/make
   Compiler version 4.2
   linuc_headers base folder /lib/modules/2.6.24-20-generic/build

 However some compilations and executable functions may need additional files,
 in the FileNames.h (so called kernel "h"eaders) collection installed in  /usr/include/ .
 For martian_modem, additional required packages are n. The also required headers of package libc6 are commonly installed by default.
 Compiling hsfmodem drivers does require linux-libc-dev and libc6-dev packages, for kernels 2.6.24 and later versions.
 In not included on your install CD, search for them at http://packages.ubuntu.com
 or comparable Repository for other Linux distros.
 When compiling ALSA drivers, the utility "patch" will also be needed.

Compressed files at: /usr/src/sl-modem.tar.bz2

If a driver compilation fails, with message including some lack of some FileName.h (stdio.h for example), then
Some additional kernel-header files need installation to /usr/include. The minimal additional packages are libc6-dev
and any of its dependents, under Ubuntu linux-libc-dev

If an alternate ethernet connection is available,
$  apt-get update
$  apt-get -s install linux-kernel-devel
will install needed packages.
For Debian/Ubuntu related distributions, run the following command to display the needed package list:

Otherwise packages have to be found through http://packages.ubuntu.com
Once downloaded and transferred into a Linux partition,
they can be installed alltogether with:
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Checking pppd properties:
	-rwsr-xr-- 1 root dip 269256 2007-10-04 22:57 /usr/sbin/pppd

In case of an "error 17" "serial loopback" problem, see:
    http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/linmodems/archive-sixth/msg02637.html

To enable dialout without Root permission do:
	$ su - root  (not for Ubuntu)
        sudo chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
or under Ubuntu related Linuxes
	sudo chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd

Checking settings of:	/etc/ppp/options
asyncmap 0
noauth
crtscts
lock
hide-password
modem
proxyarp
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4
noipx

In case of a message like:
   Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied
see http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-sixth/msg04656.html

Read Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt concerning other COMM channels: ath0 eth0 wifi0
Which can interfere with Browser naviagation.

 Don't worry about the following, it is for experts should trouble shooting be necessary.

# start/stop the daemon when the USB modem is connected
KERNEL=="slusb[0-9]*", GROUP="dialout", RUN+="/etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon"
 Checking for modem support lines:
 --------------------------------------
     /device/modem symbolic link:   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 2008-07-30 21:53 /dev/modem -> ttySL0
slmodemd created symbolic link /dev/ttySL0:
     Within /etc/udev/ files:
/etc/udev/rules.d/030_sl-modem-daemon.rules:# start/stop the daemon when the USB modem is connected
/etc/udev/rules.d/030_sl-modem-daemon.rules:KERNEL=="slusb[0-9]*", GROUP="dialout", RUN+="/etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon"
/etc/udev/sl-modem-daemon.rules:# start/stop the daemon when the USB modem is connected
/etc/udev/sl-modem-daemon.rules:KERNEL=="slusb[0-9]*", GROUP="dialout", RUN+="/etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon"
     Within /etc/modprobe.conf files:
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# Uncomment these entries in order to blacklist unwanted modem drivers
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# blacklist snd-atiixp-modem
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# blacklist snd-via82xx-modem
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
/etc/modprobe.d/sl-modem-daemon.modutils:install slamr modprobe --ignore-install ungrab-winmodem ;  modprobe --ignore-install slamr; test -e /dev/slamr0 || (/bin/mknod -m 660 /dev/slamr0 c 242 0 2>/dev/null && chgrp dialout /dev/slamr0)
     Within any ancient /etc/devfs files:

     Within ancient kernel 2.4.n /etc/module.conf files:

--------- end modem support lines --------