Re: Fwd: kernel 2.6.25 serial port bug [continued]

Oh yes it is, and sticky.
In a conscient or inconscient effort of making Ubuntu look as much Windows as possible, the developpers have introduced the spirit of Windows: the computer knows better than the user what the user wants to do. The computer wants to connect you as soon as you start it.
Of course, this can be prevented.
With 45 years of computer experience behind me, it has taken me two days to figure out what Ubuntu wrongly believes I want to do and how it goes inside. I have forgotten Ubuntu and this nightmare since long, so I cannot tell you what to do in your case, hopefully somebody more clever than me will.

Jacques

Henry W. Peters wrote:
Ok, Marv, I *think* I have the parameters set up correctly (?) on my Ubuntu system. Still get the hang-up after a few seconds of mutual (presumably) handshake. From the concerns you sent (below included) what is the (your) recommended course of action?

Thanks,

Henry
p.s. the modem tried to dial up before I was logged in... I take it this would not be a usual event?