Asunto: Re: Agere 11c11040 module building success - 2.6.25.5
De:     "Mr.Bor de Tor" <uniacke1@xxxxxxxx>
Fecha:  Lun, 7 de Julio de 2008, 11:45 am
Para:   "José Luis Díez Ruiz" <joseluis.diez@xxxxxx>

Hi Jose,
The issue is that newer versions of ALSA handle the
modem PCM streams differently, and as such, the agrsm
driver requires a version of the snd-hda-intel module
that is v. 1.0.15 or older. Using that info, I managed
to get it working. (note that anything before 1.0.17
won't compile easily on my machine)
I'm currently in contact with Marv regarding my
success with the modem working on 2.6.25, and once
we've gotten the files and "paperwork" together, we'll
make an official announcement to the list :)
Thanks for all your help!
Bjorn.

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/11c11040/hda_symbols.patch

<c27106ee0807030603w2d8f68f0v72e847f65f8833f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/11c11040/agrsm-2.1.80-2mdv2009.0.src.rpm
> >>  from the 11c11040 pit of the linmodems site.
> >>
> >> Make sure it's the .src.rpm file.
> >>
> >> convert to cpio with 'rpm2cpio
> >> agrsm-2.1.80-2mdv2009.0.src.rpm >
> >>  agrsm-2.1.80-2mdv2009.0.cpio
> >>
> >> extract: cpio -i < agrsm-2.1.80-2mdv2009.0.cpio
> >>
> >> There are a multitude of patch files included in
> the
> >> src. RPM. apply
> >>  ALL of them. This fixes the IRQ flags, among
> other
> >> things.
> >>
> >> If you run make at this stage, then it will fail
> >> because the module
> >>  uses a GPL-only function call - usb_put_dev.
> There
> >> are various ways to
> >>  bypass this, either by commenting out the line
> in
> >> question, or my
> >>  unorthodox (and lazy) method of editing the
> >> MODULE_LICENSE line in
> >>  agrsoftmodem.c.
> >>
> >> run make module.
> >> The modules built for me on 2.6.25.5 and they
> load
> >> fine. Dmesg shows
> >>  that the modem is detected. /dev/ttyAGS3
> appears.
> >>
> >> However, if I try to run the modem daemon
> >> ./AgrMdmDaemon, it locks the
> >>  entire system and requires a hard reset.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps someone to get it going!
> >>
> >> Bjorn.

> >> Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is
> at giving junk email
> the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail.  Click on
> Options in Mail and
> switch to New Mail today or register for free at
> http://mail.yahoo.ca

Instant Messaging, free SMS, sharing photos and more... Try the new Yahoo!
Canada Messenger at http://ca.beta.messenger.yahoo.com/Hello, Bjorn

I had modified and had tested the source code modem in kernel 2.6.25.8
with ALSA 1.0.17 and the modem works OK.

I attach the tar ball.

Two things... in kernel 2.6.25 and newer, the USB is GPL-symbol
dependence, and this module is propietary, so i modified the
MODULE_LICENSE(GPL), for not to have to recompile the kernel.
Too is necessary to patch the ALSA with export symbols snd_hda_codec_read
and snd_hda_codec_write
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/11c11040/hda_symbols.patch
and the modem works OK.

Also tested the original one_a1xx source code and work OK in kernel 2.6.26
from kernel.org (that to have ALSA 1.0.16)

Regards.