Re: New Linux User - Need Help with Internal Modem

John,

Download the agrsm-20080203.tar.gz file that scanModem recommends:

>From http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/sv92/ download  agrsm-20080203.tar.gz
The  suse-10-2a.tar.gz thereat has newer Agere/LSI code,
but there are compiling problems with newer kernels
Read DOCs/Agrsm.txt

However some compilations and executable functions may need additional files,
 in the FileNames.h (so called kernel "h"eaders) collection installed in  /usr/include/ .
 For martian_modem, additional required packages are libc6-dev (and for Debian/Ubuntu,
 linux-libc-dev). The also required headers of package libc6 are commonly installed by default.
 Compiling hsfmodem drivers does require linux-libc-dev and libc6-dev packages, for kernels 2.6.24 and later versions.
 In not included on your install CD, search for them at http://packages.ubuntu.com
 or comparable Repository for other Linux distros.
 When compiling ALSA drivers, the utility "patch" will also be needed.

There is a modem interrupt problem

 Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
===================================
 The modem interrupt (IRQ) is 255 . IRQs of 0 or 255 are not functional!!
 The CPU cannot control the modem until this situation is corrected!!
 Possible corrections are:
   1) Within the boot up BIOS, change from a Windows to a non-PNP/Other Operating System type.
   Instructions for accessing BIOS are at:
      http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/resources.html within:  Additional Resourcces.
   2a) Add an option "pci=routeirq" to the kernel boot up line.
      Here is an example paragraph from  /boot/grub/menu.lst :
	title           Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-26-686
	root            (hd0,6)
	kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-686 root=/dev/hda7 ro pci=routeirq
	initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-26-686
	savedefault
   2b) Same as above, but use "pollirq" instead of "pci=routeirq".
   3) Within some BIOS setups, IRQ assignments can be changed.
   4) On non-laptop systems, moving the modem card to another slot has helped.
   5) Sometimes upgrading the kernel changes IRQ assignment.

Regards,

Antonio