Re: Elmer, USA, Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 kernel 2.6.8-2-686

Elmer,

Well you educated us a little today.  Previously I wasn't aware of the
/etc/discover* files.

But reading
$ man discover.conf
clarifies their usage. Simple edits with vim should be OK.
For your lines in /etc/discover.conf  like:
----------
# Enable the PCI, USB, IDE, and SCSI bus scans:
enable pci,usb,ide,scsi

# Enable the PCMCIA scan too:
enable pcmcia
--------

just edit to:
--------------
# Enable the PCI, USB, IDE, and SCSI bus scans:
# enable pci,usb,ide,scsi
enable pci,ide,scsi

# Enable the PCMCIA scan too:
# enable pcmcia

This should eliminate interference from hardare sharing the same IRQ,
as assessed from your ModemData.txt lines:
 Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
 11:     135715          XT-PIC  yenta, ohci1394, Intel ICH4, ehci_hcd,

Reboot and check the effects.

Copy in your own  /etc/discover.conf file when you report back,
as it may not be identical to that on other systems.

MarvS