Re: scanModem not working

Martin,

On your System, the troublesome code segment is indeed "read" as:
 grep -v '#'
with ' flanking the #
However the code as written in scanModem line:
BL1=$(grep -rs modem /etc/modprobe* | grep blacklist | grep -v "#" 2>/dev/null)
 actually has the double quote:
 grep -v  "#"
Would you try to figure  out this problem on your System and/or the
bypass to keep scanModem from hanging.  Your Gentoo system is our
first encounter with this problem.

With regard to the VOICE issues, it is common that VOICE is not
implemented in the software for many of the winmodems.  The modem
chipset manufacturers do not make any money off of Linux code, and we
are grateful when we get even bare modem functionality.  Conexant
bought our the PCTEL modem sector.  We don't expect any service from
them.  Robert Thornburrow is our expert on the PCtel software and may
comment further.

MarvS