Re: Help? Overwhelmed and about ready to give up on Ubuntu

Sure Jim, thanks.

The message was of course not about my situation but it is very helpful in many cases (not all: in addition to having a working built in modem, my own laptop only has a mini PCCARD slot. An adaptor would be needed to use a regular PCMCIA card, and it costs much more than the modem ...).

Jacques

Jim wrote:
Jacques Goldberg wrote:
Which country and city do you live in?
There are many Linux Users Group scattered over the world and someone can probably help you directly, perhaps even do the job for you.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_User_Group and http://www.linux.org/groups/

Jacques

Ann wrote:
Hi folks,

I am about ready to give up on Ubuntu, and unfortunately, resign myself to being with Windows forever. I was very impressed with my Ubuntu, until I discovered that because I have dial up internet access, and like most people a Winmodem that Ubuntu doesn't automatically recognize, I'll have to jump through a million hoops to maybe get a working dial up connection. Isn't being punished by having to use dial up while everyone else around you is getting broadband enough? LOL!

I am running a dual boot system with Windows XP & Ubuntu, which I installed using the new "Install Inside of Windows' feature of 8.04. This went completely without problems, and my Ubuntu works great, except for the modem issue.

I have downloaded, when logged in to the XP side of my dual boot, windows XP, the scanModem tool, but can't even get it to uncompress with gunzip in my Ubuntu set up. Perhaps I am doing something wrong in trying to copy the file from the folder where it was placed when downloading through Windows? It is in a folder on my main C hard drive called Downloads.

Anyhow, any advice, in the simplest of terms keeping in mind I have been a Microsoft Windows slave for the past nine years,,would be helpful here. Or, even a bit of encouragement? :)

Or, if another modem is recognized by Ubuntu and I can purchase this particular brand somewhere for a reasonable cost, that advice would be welcome as well.

Thanks.
~Ann

I have got the perfect suggestion on a modem for laptop users with PCMCIA slot , a Zoom 3075 PC card it works
right out of the box.