Re: Help? Overwhelmed and about ready to give up on Ubuntu

Ann,

Do not despair.  Have patience, it will help you here.
 Here's one way you can do it, you may also browse
through the windows folders and look for the file
scanModem.gz and then select it and copy it over to
home directory of Ubuntu. or use the method below

One way:

Do you have a usb stick?

If so you can use it.  Download scanModem.gz

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/scanModem.gz

 and save it as it is to your USB stick.  Then
shutdown/reboot and load Ubuntu.  As you are already
set up, then pop in your USB drive and it will get
mounted automatically.  Select scanModem.gz and drag
and drop to your home directory.  Look for the menu
that has a terminal, could be the system one, and fire
it up.  Now you should be in your home directory with
scanModem.gz residing there.

$ gunzip scanModem.gz
$ chmod +x scanModem
$ sudo ./scanModem

will create a folder with Modem/ and some information
is displayed in the screen.  When everything is
complete browse to Modem/ folder using
$ cd Modem/
type cp ModemData.txt to where usbstick is mounted
/media/disk?   or something like this
$ cp ModemData.txt /media/disk

logout and close Ubuntu.  Hopefully ModemData.txt is
saved and then boot into Windows.  Now pop in your usb
disk and ModemData.txt should be there, send a message
to discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the title

Ann CountryName Ubuntu 2.6.24-??

and attach ModemData.txt to it.  Then with that
information we can recommend a driver for your modem.
Hopefully that modem is supported and you can get
online with Ubuntu.

HTH,

Antonio

Be a better friend, newshound, and