From: zello <zello@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 8:28 AM
Subject: kernel 2.6.25 doesn't export usb kernel api to non-gpl'ed modules
To: sashakh@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: Marvin Stodolsky <marvin.stodolsky@xxxxxxxxx>

The subject says all, there's no way to compile slusb under 2.6.25
(unless you cheat on the license...).
 I'm no linux device drivers hacker, but I see three way to handle this:
 - we can rewrite the Makefile and compile/install slusb as a
different target (so that a make all && make install will compile,
link and install only the pci module slamr)
 - we can rewrite from scratch the whole slusb driver, which does not
use any .o file (the whole source is in st7554.c & modem_defs.h), and
release under gpl (or bsd) license [BTW, bsd license is not that far
than the original SmartLink license]. We don't even need to do any
reverse engineering, but I suppose that's not fair.
 - we can move the usb driver in userspace (if it's possible, I did
not try as I ain't got an usb modem to test), using /proc/bus/usb &
libusb. There's no need to adhere to gpl if we stay in userland.
Moreover, since libusb seems to be portable, it would be a step
towards porting slusb & slmodem under *bsd and other unices. I don't
know if I got the skills, but I got no modem to test, that's sure.

 Let me know.

 Have a nice day.

 --
 zello