Re: dongle modems

Antonis,

1-Dongle: not a modem, but a (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dongle ). The word has also been used for a short piece of cable for PCMCIA modems and network cards, matching an RJ-11 or RJ-45 phone or Ethernet cable to whatever female connector was provided on the PCMCIA card side.

2-The Zoom modem: the URL which you quote
> http://www.zoom.com/products/dial_up_external_usb.html
contains a link to Model #3095 Datasheet
That new page answers your question. I read there:

"On-board Digital Signal Processor and Controller: provides the highest level of system stability and compatibility for all desktop and notebook computers with USB ports, including Windows, Macintosh, and Linux computers."

The characteristic and painful feature of Winmodems (those which need a special driver) is that they do NOT have a DSP or a Controller or most often neither of the two. Thus this Zoom model is definitely the opposite of the modems which keep us busy on this discussion forum.

While I never wrote a word here recommending any hardware, I cannot abstain from writing that my experience with Zoom stuff (not including this particular model 3095), has been outstandingly good over many years.

Jacques

Antonis Tsolomitis wrote:

Since my laptop's modem is not yet supported, I was looking into the solution of buying a dongle modem. Since I do not know what is "dongle", does anyone knows these devices?

For example, one can be found here:

http://www.zoom.com/products/dial_up_external_usb.html

The company says that they work on Linux too! I wonder if I should trust this...

Does anyone knows something?

thank you,

Antonis.