Re: Modem Help

Liam,

For
Class 0703: 1057:3052 Modem: Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem
      Primary PCI_id  1057:3052
 Support type needed or chipset:	slamr
------------
Proceed as follows.
1) Go ahead and do the update of  the sl-modem-daemon package.
But this will install an older version 2.9.9e slmodemd, in addition to
the desired update of the automation scripts.

2) Rerun my setup in the slamr-2.6.22-14-generic.  This will replace
the 2.9.9e with the desired version 2.9.11 slmodemd.  Then you will
again have to
$ sudo gedit  /etc/wvdial.conf
read the wvdial.txt for guidance

3) Rather than using the GnomePPP frontend to wvdial, Use wvdial
itself for testing purposes.
In particular a line
Carrier Check =  no
is needed in the modem config file for usage of the of the true modem
port /dev/pts/N , which is pointed to by the symbolic link
/dev/ttySL0.  GnomePPP uses its own config file, not /etc/wvdial.conf

Once you have functionality with wvdial you can try switching over to
GnomePPP.  I am not under Linux now, and hence can't give you the
filename to which
Carrier Check  = no
should be added for GnomePPP usage

The sl-modem-daemon bootup scripts will do the modem setup, that is
the equivalent of 3 manual commands:
$ sudo modprobe ungrab-winmodem
$ sudo modprobe slamr
$ sudo slmodemd -c USA  /dev/slamr0

so that once  /etc/wvdial.conf  is correctly edited with
$ sudo  gedit  /etc/wvdial.conf

You should be able to dialout with:
$ sudo wvdial

Note that you can still manually do:
$ sudo  /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon stop ( or start or restart)

MarvS