Re: Mike Lambourne,UK

On 3/18/08, mike <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Antonio,
> Thanks for the prompt reply. I wasn't expecting it so quick.
> Anyway, I've tried the package SLMODEMD.gcc4.1.tar.gz
> and tried to make sense of another bunch of txt files, but still nothing
> I can work out.
> and the line: 'slmodemd -c UK --alsa modem:1'
> does get the modem going, but I'm not sure what else I did to get it
> going because I ran other things, it may have been the modprobe command
> to load(?) snd-intel8x0m - trouble is, I'd like to be able to get this
> laptop to just start up, click on a web browser and fire up the modem
> without all this 'jumping through hoops' - this laptop is for my brother
> who is about as far removed from technology as is possible. He would
> rather not use one but for one reason, that is to apply to our local
> council for housing, as he is only in temporary accomodation and also he
> needs to get on-line to view possible dwellings. Once he has moved, he
> probably will give the laptop away or back to me. But it needs to be
> idiot/bomb proof.
> Anyway, what I've done so far (raking my brain here...)
> >>
> reporting dynamic creation of ports:
> /dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N , with N some number
> Read Smartlink.txt and Modem/YourSystem.txt for follow through guidance:<<
>
> Quote from Smartlink.txt>>
> The setup command is:
> slmodemd -c COUNTRY_NAME --alsa slmodemd_device
> if successful there will be reported dynamic creation of:
> /dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N , with N a number
> The /dev/ttySL0 is a symbolic link to the real modem port /dev/pts/N ,
> and it is /dev/ttySL0 which should be named to dialup utilities such
> as wvdial. The "--alsa" is only needed for usage with ALSA modem drivers.
> Throughout a dialout session slmodemd MUST be kept running. Open another
> console/termimal to startup dialout software such as wvdial.
>
> So is there no way to start all this automatically? My apologies if I
> sound dim, but I don't understand.

Yes, but this is going to be a little bit of work, hope that you do not mind.
First look in the scripts directory after you have extracted
SLMODEMD.gcc4.1.tar.gz, as root user
$ su -
password
# cp slmodemd /etc/rc.d/init.d/
if it does not exist, /etc/rc.d/ and then run chkconfig slmodemd --add like here

[root@localhost init.d]# chkconfig slmodemd --add
[root@localhost init.d]# chkconfig slmodemd on

Open and edit slmodemd and change the DEVICE to --alsa modem:1, I am
not completely sure here, so I will forward this message to
discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and hope that someone else can come through and
give you better advice.

> What lines do I edit/change/add to wvdial.comf - if any?

You need to put in correct username, password and number to dialout.
Also add lines

Carrier Check = no
; Stupid Mode = yes

If you want automatic dialing, I do not know how to do this, maybe
Jacques can explain to you, but if I were you, I would leave it as it
is.

> What lines do I edit/change/add to slmodemd.conf - if any? where does it
> go? does it go in /etc/sysconfig/ path?

> Is there a chkconfig command I have to run?

> Do I have to recompile the existing Suse10.2 kernel to have this module
> automatic?

No.  The module will work across different kernels and there is no
need to recompile anything.

If you get stuck anywhere, you may read the following page and make
modifications that are needed.

from a SUSE user
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/archive-fifth/msg03648.html

a little bit of SUSE from binoj, who configured slmodemd in SUSE.
http://www.geocities.com/olivares14031/slmodemd-setup.html

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Antonio