Re: Mike Lambourne, United Kingdom

Mike,

do not worry about all of those file, keep them there for later reads
if you need,
scanModem recommends you do the following

\begin{"}
 This is a NEW softmodem case!  Please send the output ModemData.txt
  to DISCUSS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx to enrich the Archive and help others!
  If further assistance is not needed, please use email Subject:
     New Case Only
  Lacking a dsp (digital signal processing) chip, the modem is a software
  intensive or "softmodem" type. Its primary controller manages the traffic
  with the CPU. But the software needed is specified in the Subsystem.
 Support type needed or chipset: slmodemd

  An ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) modem driver:  snd-intel8x0m
  provides Low Level support enabling contact with the modem hardware.
  For all BUT Conexant chip soft modems (using hsfmodem software)
  complementary High Level support is through a Smartlink utility:  slmodemd

  Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
  the package SLMODEMD.gcc4.1.tar.gz having a compiled slmodemd.
Unpack under Linux with:
        $ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc4.1.tar.gz
  and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
         slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa modem:1
  reporting dynamic creation of ports:
        /dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
  Read Smartlink.txt and Modem/YourSystem.txt for follow through guidance.

\end{"}

Hope this helps,

Antonio