Re: wvdial does not find /dev/ttyAGS3 - [was Re: Dynalink Agere SV92P PCI Modem]

Mark,

Perhaps you can give Tom some local guidance to the parts market.

Tom,

> My work involves setting up discarded corporate machines for use by refugee
> families, and while Linux is ideal in many ways, peripheral support is an area of
> weakness due to the proprietary nature of things like Winmodems.
>
> Overall I have come to the conclusion that PCI modem boards are to be avoided for
> use with Linux,

PCI cards per se are not the culprit. The problems reside in the
particular CHIPSET on the board.  For
> setting up discarded corporate machines for use by refugee families,
the best solution would probably a Controller Chipset (same type used
in external modems) on a PCI board. The drivers are in every Linux
release.

Read the InfoGeneral.txt and WWW search for a cheapest source of such modems.

AgereSystems (now LSI) simply isn't putting profit free effort into
the Linux maintenance of this particular SV92 softmodem.  When they
have acquired large commercial buyers of their other chipsets to
sponsor  code maintenance, support of those chipsets has been quite
good.

MarvS