wvdial does not find /dev/ttyAGS3 - [was Re: Dynalink Agere SV92P PCI Modem]

Dear Tgillett

In your previous mail you ask how to make ttyAGS3 permanent.
modprobe should be sufficient unless this module is in your blacklist

In the present mail you report that wvdialconf has not found ttyAGS3
This feature is built in wvdialconf which will ONLY scan devices whose names follow the following pattern:
/dev/ttyS*
You might have discovered this yourself by reading through point 9 of the first section "for the impatient" of http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/post-install.html
Likewise http://linmodems.technion.ac.il offers a searchable archive.
If in the 2008 archive you search for ttyAGS3, the first item in archive beyond your own posts shows the solution. These remarks were not a criticism, but a hint how to go faster without waiting for an answer.

Once /dev/ttyAGS3 exists, do
ln -s /dev/ttyAGS3 /dev/ttySanything ,such as /dev/ttySAG3 for example for mnemonics

Next, run wvdialconf which will find the modem.
Next, while anyway editing /etc/wvdial.conf, replace your /dev/ttySanything by /dev/ttyAGS3 and wvdial will work without having to repeat the linking (command ln -s) next time.

Jacques

tgillett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Marvin
I followed your excellent HowTo document and everything worked as it should until
I cam eto the wvdial test which gave the following result:

********************************
~$ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
Editing `/etc/wvdial.conf'.

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 2400 baud, next try: 9600 baud
ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 9600 baud, next try: 115200 baud
ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- and failed too at 115200, giving up.
ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 2400 baud, next try: 9600 baud
ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 9600 baud, next try: 115200 baud
ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- and failed too at 115200, giving up.
Modem Port Scan<*1>: S2 S3 ttySAGR<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 2400 baud, next try: 9600 baud
ttySAGR<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 9600 baud, next try: 115200 baud
ttySAGR<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- and failed too at 115200, giving up.

Sorry, no modem was detected!  Is it in use by another program?
Did you configure it properly with setserial?

Please read the FAQ at http://open.nit.ca/wiki/?WvDial

If you still have problems, send mail to <wvdial-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>.

I also tried with the 'no acpi' and turning the sound card off in the BIOS
suggested remedies with the same result.

I can't see that there is anything else to try or test.
It's the end of the road for this board (Dynalink 1456VQH) as a Linux modem I think.

What I am still surprised about is that the SV2 driver allowed wvdial to find the
board and get all the necessary responses to set up the wvconf file. It only
failed when I came to make it dial out. I wonder if the remedies might help make
that work??

Anyway thanks for all your help.

Regards
Terry

On Sat Feb 16 19:10 , 'Marvin Stodolsky' <marvin.stodolsky@xxxxxxxxx> sent:

It is in the package, the agrsm-howto attached