Re: Bogdan Cristea, Romania

Cristea,

Under
2.6.22.16-0.2-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.2.1 (SUSE Linux)

Your USB modem
0483:7554 SGS Thomson Microelectronics 56k SoftModem
should be supported. 0483:7554 us a Smartlink chip and we have supporting code.

There are two major components involved in the support,  with
resources at http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodems/packages/smartlink/.
For the driver,  get the slusb64bit.txt  for info and  the slusb.ko
driver module will be compiled and installed using the resource
slusb64bit-2.9.11-20070813.tar.gz

To automate port creation, make a file named  /etc/modprobe.d/slusb
with all of the following on a SINGLE line:
install slusb modprobe --ignore-install slusb ; test -e /dev/slusb0 ||
(/bin/mknod -m 660 /dev/slusb0 c 243 0 2>/dev/null && chgrp uucp
/dev/slusb0)

Upon loading slusb.ko , it creates the needed  /dev/slusb0

Most of the COMM capability is in a non-driver slmodemd whose assembly
involved an 32 bit encrypted component.  The 32 bit versions of
libasound2 (or similar SuSE package)  files MUST be installed to
support it.

 An already compiled slmodemd is available in the
SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz which also contains diverse guidance.  From
within the unpacked SLMODEMD.gcc4.2 folder:
$  su  root
# cp slmodemd  /usr/sbin/slmodemd
# chmod +x  /usr/sbin/slmodemd
Then do some familiarization with:
 slmodemd --help
 slmodemd  --countrylist

Activate the modem with:
# modprobe slusb
# slmodemd -c ROMANIA /dev/slusb0
which should report port creation:
   /dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/SomeNumber
slmodemd must be left running during a modem session.

Open a 2nd console.
# su - root
# mv /etc/wvdial.conf  /etc/wvdial.conf.0
to back up any existing file.  Then the modem should be found by:
#  wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
Read the wvdial.txt for guidance on editing the  /etc/wvdial.conf

When done, you should be able to dialout with
# wvdial

MarvS