Re: Smartlink SL2801 - PCTel Inc HSP MicroModem 56 support

Hi Marvin, thanks for answering

On Dec 23, 2007 7:54 PM, Marvin Stodolsky <marvin.stodolsky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Where does the info on a Smartlink SL2801 come from?
That's what is printed on top of the integrated circuit of the modem
card. That's how I generally search for linux drivers for generic
cards, but as you say lspci reports a PCTel Inc , so that's what I
should search for.

> PS
> From out experience with slamr, the following would likely work in a
> /etc/modprobe.d/pctel  file
>
> ## # for pctel modem
> # country code for pctel modem in USA
> options pctel country_code=1
>
> #Loads drivers and creates a device node
> # the following should be on one line
> install pctel_hw --ignore-install ungrab-winmodem ; --ignore-install
> ptserial  ; --ignore-install  pctel_hw ; --ignore-install ptserial  ;
> test -e /dev/ttyS_PC ||  (/bin/mknod -m 660  /dev/ttyS_PCTEL0  c 62
> 69>/dev/null && chgrp dialout /dev/ttyS_PCTEL0  c 62)
> # group dialout is used for Debian related distros
I tried that, and failed with a bash error about "--", This is how I
replaced the line, I think it is correct, at least it gives no error
and load the modules:
install pctel_hw /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ungrab-winmodem ; \
/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ptserial  ; /sbin/modprobe
--ignore-install  pctel_hw ; \
/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ptserial  ; test -e /dev/ttyS_PC ||
(/bin/mknod -m 660 \
/dev/ttyS_PCTEL0 c 62 69>/dev/null && chgrp dialout /dev/ttyS_PCTEL0)
but...

> Then try finding the modem with:
> $ sudo wvdialconf   /etc/wvdial.conf
doesn't find any modem :(

Is there anything else I can try, or more information to provide?
Is the country code something critical? Argentina isn't in the list, I
tried with some values with the same results.

Thanks again

Santiago.