Re: Help please

On Thursday 20 December 2007 05:52:51 Gerardo Hidalgo wrote:
> any help will be apreciated, since where I live, broadband is still
> very expensive (monopoly) and dial up is the only other way to
> connect.
>
> Thank you any way

Gerardo,

ModemData.txt says :

 An ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) modem driver:
snd-via82xx-modem
 provides Low Level support enabling contact with the modem hardware.
 For all BUT Conexant chip soft modems (using hsfmodem software)
 complementary High Level support is through a Smartlink utility:
slmodemd

which means that your modem will be supported by conjunction of the
snd-via82xx-modem kernel-level driver, and the slmodemd userspace
helper utility. Read the SmartLink.txt file for guidance, but briefly :

-> Download the package named SLMODEMD.gcc4.1.tar.gz from
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/

-> Unpack it with
	$ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc4.1.tar.gz

-> Browse you the extracted directory and run the daemon with (as
root) :
	# ./slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa modem:1

Which will report the creation of the dynamic port :

	/dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   (with N some number)

Then, DO NOT close the terminal in which the daemon is running, because
it is it which permits the system to access your modem. Rather, open a
new terminal session.

You will then be able to use the wvdial utility to perform the actual
connection to your provider. First, generate a configuration file :

	# wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

Then edit the file in your favourite text editor to fill in your login
informations, as well as your provider's phone number. After saving the
file, you will be able to initiate the connection with just

	# wvdial

Good luck, feel free to write back if you have problems.

Firas

GnuPG public key: http://itsuki.fkraiem.org/gpgkey