Linmodem for Acer Aspire 1700 laptop

I am keen to try the Linux OS. I have tried quite a number - Ubuntu, Gentoo, Knoppix, Slax, Backtrack, Linux Mint, Sabayon from live CD's, but in all cases have not been able to dial-up my ISP. I am now led to believe that this is because the live CD's don't include a driver appropriate to my modem. I have just discovered your site and am delighted to find that someone might be able to help me. I have run scanModem as requested and attached ModemData.txt generated by this program. I have also looked at the other files in the Modem directory, but being a Linux newbie, have not been able to understand them.

If you can advise me what driver I need and where I can get it and explain in simple terms how to install it I will be eternally grateful to you. Keep in mind that intially I want to be able to work from a live CD. Only after I am satisfied that a distribution can do for me what I need will I install it on
my hard drive. I live in Australia.

Presumably the driver you recommend for Sabayon will also be suitable for the other OSs.

Many thanks in advance,

Russell Wheaton