Re: Janberk Sahin, Turkey kernel 2.6.22-14-generic

Janberk,

We are happy that you succeeded but I would like to express two remarks. Indeed your messages like all messages to this list has been archived, thus people may read your message, and might get mislead, and then fail.
The remarks are:

1- cnxtinstall.run cannot work on a computer which is not connected to a network. A person who only has a modem which does not work yet (no DSL, no LAN), cannot use it, as it cannot connect to the Linuxant site. This is why I had directed you, as I do for everybody, to the DRIVERS DOWNLOAD PAGE, because this way the driver can be downloaded using Windows or an other computer, and then installed on a Linux system WITHOUT the need for any network access.

2- we constantly repeat to new users to USE WVDIAL for the first connections or as soon as any other method fails because wvdialconf and wvdial supply all the necessary messages to understand and correct the problem. Then, those who wish so can use more beautiful dialers. Please understand that many people use KDE, not Gnome, thus cannot reproduce what you did, might get discouraged, and give up.

Thanks for your cooperation and good will to help us.

Jacques

Janberk Sahin wrote:
Dear Jacques and Marvin,

I really thank you for your help. Here I summarize what I did and the
result for the people with similar problems.

In the web site of Linuxant, I downladed the scan packege Marvin told,
cnxtinstall.run, since Marvin guessed the chip set was most probably
Conexant. Well, it did its job fairly good, dedected the modem type
(which I still don't know :(() and downladed the suitable driver.

But I still couldnt activate the modem using Gnome PPP. The
configuration dialog of the Gnome PPP was trying to reach /dev/modem,
which was a link indeed to /dev/ttySHSF0. So I configured Gnome PPP to
directly reach to /dev/ttySHSF0, instead of reaching it through
/dev/modem link.

And it was OK!

But I still have two questions, if I am not a stone bore yet :).

1. Well the problem is the slowness of it, since I have to purchase a
lincense key, I guess? (smart guys of Linuxant, making money out of
Linux, which is the anathem of volunteers based organizational
production!!!)

2. And I can't use Efax-gtk for sending faxes, and I think I'm not
going to be able to do that in the short term, I guess?

It is great to know that there are people like you in the world, wish
I had any technical knowledge on coding and helped you some way.
Please contact me for any issue I can acomplish, like translation of
docs from English to Turkish, contacting with people here in Turkey or
organizing any messy data etc...

Thanks,
Janberk