Re: modem driver file

Jim,

Please first send us the ModemData.txt  from scanModem output
so we will understand your System better.

For needed packages which are not on your install CD,
you can search for them at http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

For compiling on Debian you will also need the package at:
http://packages.debian.org/stable/devel/linux-kbuild-2.6.18

But as Firas suggests, with your install CD in the drive (don't mount
it manually) do
$ su - root
# apt-get install linux-kbuild-2.6.18 linux-headers-`uname -r`

Then you will be informed which packages are not on the CD
and have to be downloaded.

Once downloaded and copied to a Linux folder, they can all be
installed at once with
       # dpkg -i *.deb

Firas,

The syntax  $(uname -r) is only functional in scripts.
At the command prompt
    `uname -r`
is necessary instead, at least on my Ubuntu system with BASH shell

Going to sleep in the USA

MarvS

More generally