Modem data hijacking

Hi ppl

   I´ve been tried to build some kind of "insecurity proof" device to
hijack data-fax information from a telephone extension. I had no
success with modem experiments. When a modem begins to dial for a
remote entity i´m not be able to detect and capture data from a second
modem attached on the extesion of telephone´s wire. So... maybe with a
linmodem, where all processing e controlling stuff is built-in device
driver´s implementation was i be able to detect a signal at wire´s
phone and initiate some kind of "sniffing" of all data traffic in the
fax machine?

   I have no deep knowledge in eletronics, maybe some ideas can be
very usefull to project´s design.

   Thanks in advance.