Re: modem driver file

Hi Jacques,

Thanks for your advice. Me too, always feel awful of failing to make my winmodem work on RH 9.0. Seems I lost your previous email to ask me to compile the source code, instead of using rpm. Anyway, I did this time and it works now. It has been 2 years on and off trying on ltmodem, and I finally can read my emails from the linux. I really appreciate your consistent helps and advice.

Thank you so much.

Jim

Jacques Goldberg wrote:

yh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

I installed ltmodem-kv_2.4.20_8-8.26a9-1.i686.rpm on RH 9.0 of my Dell laptop (please see attached ModemData.txt for the modem details) last year, but it failed to work. Advised by Jacques and Marvin that the RH 9 version is too old and I should change to use kernel 2.6.

Jim,
Minor clarification.
Yes your RH9 is old indeed.
But I would like to see where I suggested to upgrade the kernel just to bring your Lucent Mars series (448) to work. Actually I just reread the whole long thread with you of last fall and I believe that one of the following is why you failed with RH9.

1-Your kernel is 2.4.20_8 while you installed the precompiled file for 2.4.20_8.8
Marvin was right to direct you to ltmodem-kv_2.4.20_8.i686.rpm.
Unfortunately a year ago my disk at http://linmodems.technion.ac.il crashed and a few files, that one included, got lost. However, in one of my mails, I suggested that you could compile FROM THE SOURCES, the right way to get the right driver for the right kernel. Have you tried that?

2-A bad pppd distribution could be the cause of the trouble. When giving command rpm -qa | grep ppp ,do you see this: ppp-2.4.3-5.rhl9.i386 ?

3-A peculiarity of your ISP. Actually a pppd return code of 16 does not say very much and a deeper log shows which error code exactly caused the "bottom line" 16. One of your mails shows that the disconnection was initiated because your pppd did not not receive any reply to its LCP requests (the first step in starting a ppp connection right after the modems have found out how to communicate). This may well but not necessarily come from an ISP unadvertised feature such as an incomplete user name. This can also be due to bad line condition and then fixed by setting asyncmap to FFFFFFFF in /etc/ppp/options.

ALL THE ABOVE IS ***NOT*** EITHER A REASON NOT TO UPGRADE.
Your decision should depend on the jobs which you do with your machine, which applications you use, needs for maintenance, etc... This is exactly MY case: sticking ro 2.4.21_47 because I use my computers for research in Physics with existing applications and need of compatibility with a large community of users.

Jacques