NO CARRIER immediatly after DT command

On Ubuntu 7.04 with kernel 2.6.20 is not possible use hda-intel winmodem:
immediatly after ATD command modem report NO CARRIER and slmodemd write
"error: period size 48 is not supported by playback (64)." on console.

I've used latest slmodem and latest alsa package.

ALSA group says that "it seems to be slmodemd's fault. slmodemd
requests a period size of 48 using
snd_pcm_hw_params_set_period_size_near() in setup_stream() and aborts
if alsa returns anything different. Newer alsa versions return 64, and
this should be gracefully handled by slmodemd."

I've removed from modem_main.c this lines:

      if ( rsize != size ) {
              ERR("period size %ld is not supported by %s (%ld).\n",
                  size, stream_name, rsize);
              return -1;
      }

in this way ATDT command works (I can make ring my phone) but I cannot
connect to my ISP: can you help me (and some other peolple that i know
they have some problem)?

Regards,
Claudio