Re: ??? PLEASE ALWAYS WRITE A SUBJECT WHEN SENDING MAIL

Dmitriy,

1-Please ALWAYS write a "Subject" in your mail, because without a subject it is very difficult the conversation with you in the middle of many more people. 2-Please ALWAYS write and answer to discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, not to me, because several people will read your mail and very often know answers which I do not know. 3-Permissions: these are protections set up for security, such as preventing you from erasing your complete disk because for example of one letter incorrectly typed.
It is therefore a very bad idea to try to change them.
The command   man wvdial    explains how to use it.
Its parameter --config  allows you to use any other file than
/etc/wvdial.conf - and /etc/wvdial.conf is protected because with Linux many persons can use one computer at the same time. If /etc/wvdial.conf was not protected, any user could arrive to information which may cause abuse of the ISP account.
So if you want to modify wvdial.conf ,  just execute:
wvdialconf  mywvdial.conf
in your own directory, then edit mywvdial.conf, then use
wvdial --config mywvdial.conf
You can put any time there, mywavdial.conf is just an example.
4-Why does it not work?
At least two possibilities:
A-Your modem does not dial under Linux. To verify this, use wvdial to dial not to the ISP but to a normal phone which you can hear ringing, or ask the owner of that phone number if there was a ring. B-Your wvdial.conf is bad. To verify this, send me a copy of your wvdial.conf BUT BEFORE, IN THE COPY, ERASE YOUR PASSWORD otherwise anybody in the world could use it to use your ISP.

Jacques

Dmitriy Isakov wrote:
Mr Goldberg, thank's a lot for your utilite Wvdial. It's very nice program
and it helped me. But now I have next problem. I can't to connect with
server, cause appears a report that the line not answers. Certainly, it
maybe problems on the service-provider, but I connecting through this number
under Windows and all ok. I tried to change
dial-number with the command /etc/wvdial.conf but can't make it in the
Terminal. Reason - permission denied. But I tried to make it after command $ sudo -s -H. As I know this command gives access to admin-operations. I tried
also to make changes of file in the directory ETC, but answer is alone (see
above). Please tell me how can I get access to make changes (not only this
command, there are also other which I can't
open). And which else reason can be why I can't to connect if it not
problems with server?