Re: bbutler, Ireland Ubuntu 6.06 LTS kernel 2.6.15-23-386

Bernard,

ID 0483:7554 SGS Thomson Microelectronics 56k SoftModem
under CPU=i686,  Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
Linux version 2.6.15-23-386
will be supported by   slamr-2.6.15-23-386.tgz
http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodems/packages/smartlink/Ubuntu/

Under Linux:
$ tar zxf slam(.tgz
$ cd  slamr-2.6.15-23-386
Browse the files
$  sudo ./setup USB
The ouput messages are appropriate to the slamr, not the slusb driver
you will be using.  But just reboot.  Then
$ sudo  wvdialconf  /etc/wvdial.conf
should find the modem.
$ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
adding a line:
 Carrier Check  =  no
and replacing the  <xxxx>  with your dialout info

Then dialout with:
$ sudo wvdial

MarvS

$