Re: help please, Colombia Ubuntu 7.04 kernel 2.6.20-15-generic

Dina,

You can try out by downloading the precompiled slmodemd driver.

Support type needed or chipset:    slmodemd

An ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) modem driver:  snd-via82xx-modem
provides Low Level support enabling contact with the modem hardware.
For all BUT Conexant chip soft modems (using hsfmodem software)
complementary High Level support is through a Smartlink utility:  slmodemd

Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
the package SLMODEMD-1.0.13.tar.gz having a compiled slmodemd. Unpack under
Linux with:
    $ tar zxf SLMODEMD-1.0.13.tar.gz
and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
    sudo slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa modem:1
reporting dynamic creation of ports:
    /dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
Read Smartlink.txt and Modem/YourSystem.txt for follow through guidance.

Regards,

Antonio