scanModem, Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Official) for i586

HI
This is my 2nd attempt at getting a modem working under linux.

I bought a (2nd hand) PCI USB modem that came with linux drivers on CD.

I opened my box, installed it and connected up (using the cable which works fine for my windows modem).

During reboot as devices are being recognised, there is a long pause then

"failed to activate ppp0 with error 8".

ok that doesn't sound promising but I carried on to the prompt anyway, and unpacked the .tar.gz drivers. There's a pl script and a few .o files. (no INSTALL file). At the top of the pl script called hsf_install is

"The program handles on finding the modem PCI-ID on the PCI file and installing it by the config of the INF file: eg hsf_install /root/modems56k"

I don't understand that so I don't know what parameter to give hsf_install. I'm currently reading the modems chapter of Craig Hunt's Linux System Administration but if anyone has any suggestions in the meantime then thanks,
dave