permissions problem using efax

When I start martian_modem with user set to anything other than myself, efax tells me I don't have permission to open /dev/ttySM0. Being in the right group is not enough. In other words, in order to send a fax as user robert (a member of group tty) starting martian_modem with --group=tty is not enough. It has to be started with --user=robert. Since martian_modem sets the permissions to rw--w----, this tells us that efax requires read access to the modem and isn't getting it.

Is there a way to configure efax not to require read access to the modem? Or is there a way to get martian_modem to set permissions to rw-rw----?

I am using an Agere modem in Ubuntu 7.04.

Many thanks
Robert

--
Robert Persson