Re: trouble downloading scanModem.gz

Thomas,

Just

$ lspci
$ lspci -nv
and copy the output to us.  That will suffice for assessing whether
your modem is an unsupported Winmodem or a supported Controller
Chipset type.
scanModem just automates the analysis.

MarvS

On 5/8/07, Thomas Laucomer <tlaucomer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sirs;

I am new to Linux. I have tried for several months to get onto the
Internet,without success. I have a dual boot Win98/Ubuntu 6.10 system. My
modem is US Robotics 3cp5610a, supposedly a pure hardware modem, not needing
a driver, that Linux can use. I have followed instructions from books as
well as help forums online, using the quite functional connection via
Windows. In Win98 the modem is on COM5, IRQ 11, I/O 1048-104F. I've
downloaded Gnome PPP, tried the 'Detect' button, it seems to think the modem
is on ttyS1, though no connection despite switching through all the
available /dev/ choices on the drop down bar. Tried wvdial & wvdialconf with
no luck

Your website came up in many threads, thus I tried to download scanModem.gz
from your very own link. It appears to be downloading (the small red arrow
pointing to a drive appears in my lower status bar) but then a web page that
appears to have directional controls at the periphery appears, though the
main screen is a dark blank screen, then a 'VRML' dialog box pops up,
stating "Download error: Configturational heading error" or something
similiar. I've tried this over the past 2-3 weeks, hoping this is a
temporary problem, but it hasn't changed.

Thus:

1. Downloading the scanModem utility has been unsuccessful, consequently
2. Attempting to follow the directions of most threads offering help has
been pre-empted, thus
3. Cannot determine if indeed my modem is recognizable, or if the scanModem
utility even has the ability to recognize it

Sooooo, are there any mirror sites to download this apparently important
tool? Is it needed?

I have had a lot of enthusiasm for Linux, though several years ago I tried
to use Caldera's OpenLinux in the same way, and never had any luck with many
of the same issues. Now this computer is getting older, and ironically,
somewhat sadly, I think, the Windows 98 OS is still working, albeit full of
glitches, BSODs, yadda yadda, but it WORKS!

and, it seems to have answers to its problems.....

I remain resolute however, to figure Linux out, as I used to use Unix in
research applications years ago, in magnetc resonance spectroscopy, and it
was a rock solid platform. The PC platform computers were saved for gaming,
seemed that was all they were good for...

Hey, thanks if some of this is answerable, but if not I can keep dinking..
Tom Laucomer
tlaucomer@xxxxxxxxxxx

Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i'm Initiative now.
It's free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_MAY07