Re: unni, india Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 kernel 2.4.27-2-386

Unni

First of all, you need to get a system with a 2.6 kernel. Debian 4.0
(aka "Etch") was released a few days ago so I suggest you upgrade to it.

Then, your modem is supported by the slamr driver, to install it in Debian, do

# apt-get install sl-modem-source sl-modem-daemon \
> build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r) wvdial
# module-assistant auto-install sl-modem
# depmod -a

If all went well, your driver was compiled and installed, now youneed to
configure slmodemd, for example :

# nano -w /etc/default/sl-modem-daemon

You should only need to edit the SLMODEMD_COUNTRY line, the rest should be
fine as is. Now, we load the driver and restart the damon :

# modprobe slamr
# /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon restart

We configure wvdial :

# wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
# nano -w /etc/wvdial.conf

Fill in your username, password and ISP phone number. Finally, we dial the
ISP :

# wvdial

And if all went well, you should be all right.

Good luck,

Firas