Re: Troubles with modem

Mircea,

 Please send only ModemData.txt.  The other files are
for you to read and are unneccessary for us.

For candidate modem in PCI bus:  00:09.0
   Class 0780: 8086:1040 Communication controller:
Intel Corporation
536EP Data Fax Modem
      Primary PCI_id  8086:1040
 Support type needed or chipset:        INTEL536EP

 In 2006, Intel appears to have ceased updates for
Linux.
 For the INTEL537 and INTEL536 chipset modems, the
most current support
is provided at:

http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodems/packages/intel/Philippe.Vouters/
 But regular support is not available, see:
http://archives.linmodems.org/24939

Regards,

Antonio

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/scanModem.gz

> [...]
>  1) SuSE with KernelVersion 2.4.21-144-* or later -
> install the matching kernel-source package, which
> does also contain the kernel-headers;
> 2) for Fedora II or later, kernel-headers are/were
> coinstalled with the kernel package;
> 3) for all other cases of 2.4.n kernels, the
> kernel-headers must be prepared from kernel-source.
>
>   The preparation can be summarised in a few
> steps/actions:
>   Install a kernel-source package representing your
> kernel.
>   Change directory (cd) into its base folder. The
> kernel-source in general
>   will match only one of several kernels that could
> have been installed
>   and NOT necessarily yours. Thus clean out any
> remnants of earlier usages with:
>   	make mrproper
>   Copy in your kernel configuration file and have it
> read with:
> 	make oldconfig
>   If necessary edit ONLY the fourth line of the
> Makefile, which completes
>   the specification of where drivers will be
> installed to (details below).
>   The kernel-headers are then assembelled by either:
>
>   a) for 2.4.nn kernels by
> 	make dep
>   b) for 2.6.n kernels,
>         make bzImage
> which includes an integral "make dep" step.
>
> Modem related resources may or may not have been
> installed during the primary Linux installation,
> as WinModem hardware is often NOT recognized.
> Search your Distro's package
> descriptions for "modem" to reveal the status of
> related resources.  Read
> the package description to determine whether
> pre-compiled modem drivers were provided.
> RESOURCES of a few types are needed to get on line.
> Do PREFERABLE use your System's
> package maintenance system for the installation.
> This should guarantee that
> any DEPENDENT packages will be called into the
> installation process. As a preliminary
> 1) Install your distributions package providing the
> KPPP, WVDIAL and MINICOM dialer utilities.
> Dependencies within such packages will also drive
> the unpacking of ppp related modules
> from compressed to a functional form :
>    module.o.gz --> modules.o
> or for 2.6.n kernels
>    module.ko.gz --> module.ko
> In addition these dialers will later aid testing and
> configuration,
> which is to be performed only AFTER, the modem's
> drivers are installed.
>
> 2) Download if necessary and modem driver package
> specific to your modem hardware.
> 3a) Install if necessary your distrbution's
> kernel-source package, necessary for preparing
> kernel-headers under 2.4.n kernels
> Or for Debian style distributions,
> 3b) install the kernel-header-2.6.17-5mdv.deb
> package matching your kernel version 2.6.17-5mdv.
>
> A KERNEL-SOURCE package must be installed, if a full
> kernel-header set
> is not otherwise provided. Kernel-source packages
=== message truncated ===>

http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/usbcdc11.pdf

http://www.smlink.com/main/index1.php?ln=en&main_id=40

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/archive-fourth/msg00176.html

http://freewebhosting.hostdepartment.com/g/gromitkc/pcmcia_list.html

http://developer.intel.com/design/modems/support/drivers.htm

http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-52698
>    Coding of support for has Not yet begun PCI soft
> modems with PCI_IDs 11c1:048?
>

>  Motorola support is at:
> http://www.motorola.com/softmodem/sm56_download.htm
>    through 2.4.22 kernels.
>
>  PCTel modem business has been sold to Conexant
>    Driver compiler resources are at:
> http://pctelcompdb.sourceforge.net/
>   However, the pre-compiled binary component is yet
> to be assembled
>    with the gcc 3.nn used in newer Linux releases,
>    so forced (-f) insertions may be necessary:
>      insmod -f pctel
>    Some of the HSP soft modems are supported by the
> SmartLink slmodem-2.9.10 drivers.
>
>  Broadcom modems in Dell laptops and PCs - can be
> made to function under 2.4 kernels, but code has not
> been updated recently.
>
>  --------- end chipset section
> ----------------------
>
>   SUPPORT under the current 2.6.nn kernels.
>
>  The more expensive Controller chipset modems are
> functioning.
>  SmartLink slmodem-2.9.9 drivers are functioning.
>  Conexant has 2.6.n support
>  The Lucent/Agere digital signal processing (DSP)
> chipsets do have
>    informal service into 2.6.n kernels and an
> AgereSystems release is soon expected.
>  Intel, Agere Systems and Linuxant are firmly
> expected to continue support into 2.6.nn,
>    though the Intel HaM software will not be updated
> to 2.6.n service
>
>  ------------------------------------
>   Preparing winmodem drivers will generally require
> compiling.
>   If you are not familar with this process
> DEFINITELY read carefully
>   the Modem/DriverCompiling.txt

=== message truncated ===>

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/intel/Philippe.Vouters/

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/archive-fifth/msg00541.html

http://members.lycos.co.uk/persianlinux/downloads/intel536EP/Intel536_inst_debian

http://linmodems.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?1:mss:23914:200607:amjpfhgkifkbjmnibmjf

> <NOTICE>
> Intel claiming partial source and providing binaries
> built on a 32-bit
> Pentium aware computer, you may use the drivers
> ONLYon a 32-bit Linux
> and a Pentium instruction set compatible processor.
>
> The driver code also handles a SMP configuration, as
> found in modern
> multi-core processors, such as the Opteron and Xeon
> processors.
>
> </NOTICE>
>
> 1/ 536EP and 537EP installation:
>
> First read the readme.txt file located in the
> detarred created directory.
> Make sure your computer has all the prerequisites
> (kernel-devel rpm installed
> in particuliar) and your /usr/src/kernels/'uname
> -r'/include/linux/autoconf.h
> does match your processor configuration. With this,
> check especially for:
> $ grep SMP /usr/src/kernels/'uname
> -r'/include/linux/autoconf.h
> for CONFIG_SMP defined whereas your computer only
> contains a single processor.
> If you have such a mismatch, reinstall your Linux
> distribution from scratch.
>
> 2/ From any account, you can under the detarred
> created directory:
> $ make clean
> $ make 536
> or
> $ make 537
>
> For a 537 family modem, you may have to:
> $ export MODEM_TYPE=<your actual modem type>
> prior to the:
> $ make 537
>
> 3/ Only from a root account, you can
> $ make install
> or
> $ make uninstall
>
> Check with:
> $ dmesg > dmesg.txt  Read the dmesg.txt looking for
> any driver's run-time problem.
>
> The 536EP driver has proved to work fine with efax,
> hylafax, wvdial, KPPP.
> The 537 driver has proved to work fine on SuSE 10.1.
>
> 4/ Checking the installation.
> Assuming you have a 536EP modem, you should see the
> following:
> $ ls -l /dev/modem
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 10 jan 22 12:37 /dev/modem
> ->

=== message truncated ===>  Only plain text email is
forwarded by the

http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodems/archive-sixth/msg02637.html

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-sixth/msg04656.html

> [...]
> modems from Lucent or its later subsidary, Agere
> Systems Inc.
>
> As CPUs became even faster, even DSP functions could
> be software code driven on
> the CPU. This third generation of modems are
> commonly called "softmodems". Their
> complementing software is comparable in sizeto that
> of the Linux kernel itself. The
> residual "modem chip" is very cheap, but the
> development of the complementing
> software is a large investment on the part of the
> chip designer/maker.
>
> Modem chipset determination under Linux:
> ---------------------------------------
> The chipset of a modem determines which
> complementing software is required.
> The Manufacturer and Model of an assembled modem are
> often inadequate to identify
> the chipset. But sometimes there is an easy chipset
> identification. There is
> a "lspci" utility provided in the Linux pciutils
> package. It reports the PCI
> identifiers (IDs hereafter) or the Primary card, its
> Subsystem, and some setup
> parameters written in firmware. For example, there
> is a softmodem in the
> PCI bus of address 00:11.6 on my laptop. Shown below
> is firmware information
> acquired by two lspci commands:
> $ lspci -s 00:11.6
> 00:11.6 Communication controller: VIA Technologies,
> Inc. AC'97 Modem Controller
> $ lspci -s 00:11.6 -nv
>      00:11.6 0780: 1106:3068 (rev 80)
>         Subsystem: 14ff:100b
>         Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 193
>         I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
> The translation is:  The card inserted into PCI bus
> slot 00:11.6 is named
> "Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> AC'97 Modem Controller".  The
> modem was assembled by a Vendor with ID
> identification code 1106 . Among 1106's
> products, it has a Device ID of 3068 in its 80th
> revison.  This usually  provides
> adequate information, to get software from the
> Vendor designated by 1106 (VIA
> Technologies, Inc. in this case) for their device
> designation 3068.  The parameters
>         Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 193
>         I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
> are determining by the environment of the host
> computer as reading modem firmware.
> It may change if other hardware is added/removed
> from the host computer, or
> under a change or Operating System (OS) kernel.
>
> The problem for softmodems is that additional
> information is needed for the software
> specification. The Subsystem Vendor_ID identifies
> only the assembler company.  But
> the modem chip housed in the Subsystem could be of a
> variety of types, each requiring
> different support software. In general, a single
> Subsystem assembler could use a
> variety of different softmodem chips.  The Subsystem
> firwmare information on the chipset
> is not accessible to lspci. Rather it requires usage
> of a modem driver, if one first had
> some competent modem driver for minimal diagnositcs.

=== message truncated ===> 			MODEM TESTING

> [...]
> --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
> --> Initializing modem.
> --> Sending: ATZ
> ATZ
> OK
> --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 M1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> ATQ0 V1 E1 M1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> OK
> --> Modem initialized.
> --> Sending: ATDT3019178111
> --> Waiting for carrier.
> ATDT3019178111
> CONNECT 53333 V42bis
> --> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
> ** APX1.LNH.MD.RCN.NET Terminal Server **
> Login:
> --> Looks like a login prompt.
> --> Sending: LoginName
> LoginName
> Password:
> --> Looks like a password prompt.
> --> Sending: (password)
>     Entering PPP Session.
>     IP address is 66.44.1.6
>     MTU is 1006.
> --> Looks like a welcome message.
> --> Starting pppd at Sat Jul 26 13:59:03 2003
> --> pid of pppd: 2404
> : pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
> : Using interface ppp0
> : Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/tts/LT0
> Jul 26 13:59:08 stodolsklap kernel: PPP BSD
> Compression module registered
> Jul 26 13:59:08 stodolsklap kernel: PPP Deflate
> Compression module registered
> : local  IP address 66.44.1.6
> : remote IP address 208.59.89.132
> : primary   DNS address 207.172.3.8
>
> The & in "wvdial &" puts the process into the
> background,
> allowing further usage of the command prompt.  To
> stop a backgrounded process:
> # fg wvdial
> # Ctrl -C
>
> TROUBLE SHOOTING
>
> Check for modem driver loading.
> Do FIRST read INSTRUCTIONS files provided with the
> modem driver resource.
> Some may have installed to
> /usr/share/doc/Modem_or_Driver_Name/
> For RPM using distros, documentation files will be
> listed through
>    rpm -q -d packageName (less the version part,
> sometimes)
> and all directly installed files can be listed by
>    rpm -q -l packageName
> Depending upon your installation, the modem drivers
> may/may_not be autoloaded.
> Login as Root in a console with:
> # su - root
> # lsmod
> If the modem drivers are not already loaded onto the
> kernel, insert them with command
> #  modprobe ModuleDriver
> If there are multiple drivers such as the lt_modem.o
> and lt_serial.o pair,
> commanding the serial like driver:
> #  modprobe lt_serial
> should autoload all modules it depends on.  Check
> with:
> # lsmod
> This proceeds through a reading of dependency files
> written to /lib/modules/2.6.17-5mdv/ during boot up

=== message truncated ===>    For instructions to
UNSUBSCRIBE from
> [...]
> /dev/pts/N , with N a number,
> then there MUST be added a line:
>  Carrier Check  =  no
> This requirement currently applies to dialups using
> the helper utility: slmodemd
> together with slamr, slusb or ALSA modem drivers, OR
> the  "      "    : martian_helper
> used with the martian_dev  for Lucent/Agere modems
> with DSP chipsets.
>
> Then a test dialput can be done with:
> $  wvdial --config wvtest
>
> There are some Systems for which the wvdialcon test
> will stall at rfcomm ports.
> This is a wvdialconf bug and can be bypassed by just
> using wvdial with a trial
> wvtest, but you need to specify the port appropriate
> to your modem.
>
> If the configuration file below, lines beginning
> with # are comments.
> Removing a # will activate a line with wvdial
> instructions appropriate to
> special circumstances.
>

> [Dialer defaults]
> # Lines begining with # are comments.
> # wvdial will look for this file at
> /etc/wvdial.conf  or  /home/LoginName/.wvdial.rc
>
> # Redhat/Fedora have an  Internet Connection Wizard
> in the popup menus
> # ICW will write a two part  /etc/wvdial.conf
> supporting multiple modem usage.
>
> Modem = /dev/ttySL0
> Init1 = ATZ
> Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> #  Lack of dialtone acquisition can be due to low
> line voltage,
> #    a common problem in Italy.
> #  Try inserting a "dial without waiting": X3
> #  Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 X3 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> #  In case of connection instabilities, specify a
> lower frequency:
> #  Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 X3 &C1 &D2  +MS=34
> # a MS=90 option is sometimes necessary for Internet
> Providers with buggy V92 protocols:
> #  Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 X3 &C1 &D2  +MS=90
> ISDN = 0
> Modem Type = Analog Modem
> Phone =  Dialout_phone_number
> # if going through a switch board, a perhaps
> necessary pause can produced with a comma:
> # Phone = 1,Dialout_phone_number
> Username = LoginName
> # if Internet Provider is MSN.net, use under Linux:
>  MSN/LoginName
> Password = YourPassWord
>
> # the following lines is NEEDED only for usage with
> slmodemd or martian_helper
> Carrier check = no
> # Kinternet appears to add it automatically.
>
> ## If CONNECT is achieved but browsing fails, try
> activating the following line
> # Auto DNS = yes
> ##    To make a logfile wvdial.out
> # wvdial 2>&1 | tee wvdial.out
> # #  For some Internet providers, the following line
> is necessary
> # Stupid Mode = yes
> ##  for other wvdial  options, do "man wvdial" or
> see the documentation in
> ##    /usr/share/doc/wvdial/
>
> # to dial an alternate provide use "wvdial 2nd"

=== message truncated ===>

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/archive-fifth/msg01480.html

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/archive-fourth/msg03734.html
> and the scripts in the slmodem-2.9.n/scripts folder/

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.