Re: komlagan, Togo Ubuntu 6.06 LTS kernel 2.6.15-23-386

j&L

With your info I ran scanModem in test mode and it output:
=================
     Primary PCI_id  8086:266d
   Subsystem PCI_id  103c:3081
   Softmodem codec or Vendor from diagnostics:
                             from    Archives: SIL27, an AgereSystems
type.

Lacking a dsp (digital signal processing) chip, the modem is a software
intensive or "softmodem" type. Its primary controller manages the traffic
with the CPU. But the software needed is specified in the Subsystem.
Support type needed or chipset: slmodemd

An ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) modem driver:  snd-intel8x0m
provides Low Level support enabling contact with the modem hardware.
For all BUT Conexant chip soft modems (using hsfmodem software)
complementary High Level support is through a Smartlink utility:  slmodemd

Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
the package SLMODEMD.gcc4.tar.gz having a compiled slmodemd. Unpack
under Linux with:
       $ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc4.tar.gz
and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
       sudo slmodemd -c FRANCE  --alsa modem:1
reporting dynamic creation of ports:
       /dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
============

On your System there may be the problem:
--- Bootup diagnositcs for card in PCI slot 0000:00:1e.3 ----
[4294672.556000] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1e.3[B] -> GSI 20 (level,
low) -> IRQ 201
[4294672.556000] ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1e.3 disabled

The PCI slot 0000:00:1e.3 of the modem card may be disabled early in
a bootup process,  but then enabled later. If modem drivers load
but the  modem is not responsive, read Bootup.txt about possible fixes.
Send dmesg.txt along with ModemData.txt to discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
if help is needed.
------------------------------------
But try the instructions in the SLMODEMD package, and read the attached.

MarvS
scanModem maintainer

4.0.3-1ubuntu5)) #1 PREEMPT Tue May 23 13:49:40 UTC 2006
 scanModem update of:  2007_March_05

USB modem not detected by lsusb

Modem or host audio card candidates have firmware information:

 PCI slot    PCI ID        SubsystemID    Name
 ----------    ---------    ---------    --------------
 0000:00:1e.3    8086:266d    103c:3081    Modem: Intel Corporation
82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW

 Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
201:          0   IO-APIC-level  eth0

 --- Bootup diagnositcs for card in PCI slot 0000:00:1e.3 ----
[4294672.556000] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1e.3[B] -> GSI 20 (level,
low) -> IRQ 201
[4294672.556000] ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1e.3 disabled

 The PCI slot 0000:00:1e.3 of the modem card may be disabled early in
 a bootup process,  but then enabled later. If modem drivers load
 but the  modem is not responsive, read Bootup.txt about possible fixes.
 Send dmesg.txt along with ModemData.txt to discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 if help is needed.

 === Finished modem firmware and bootup diagnostics section. ===
 === Next deducing cogent software ===

ALSAversion 1.0.10
The audio card is not a modem hosting type.

 SmartLink (http://www.smlink.com/) chipset modems are sold under a variety
 of BrandNames, and have vendor IDs 163c, 2000, 2003, and 2004. Conexant bought
 Smartlinks's modem techhology sector in 2005. While Linux updates are not
 expected from Conexant, Linux support is still very good thanks to volunteer
 Linux maintainer Sasha Khapyorsky. Get his updated software from:
	http://linmodems.technion.il/packages/smartlink/

 A high level support component is a smart helper:            slmodemd
 Acting through one of several drivers, it creats ports dynamically and
 supports COMM and FAXing functions.  During facsimile usage, the AT&F command
 is not supported. A means of implmenting the CNG is lacking, because this
 function is encoded within the dsplibs.o precompiled at Smartlink, Inc. See
    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=hylafax&m=116041369404444&w=2
 Usage of SMP (Symmetric MultiProcessor) mother boards is
 supported. For service on 64 bit AMD x86_64 processor mother boards, see
        http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/archive-fourth/msg02594.html
	http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/archive-fifth/msg02490.html
 However a 64 bit compilation of a proprietary dsplibs.o conponent is not
 available. Hence for modem usage the computers must be operated in 32 bit mode.

 The slmodemd supports a few different types of modem drivers.  Below the suffix
 .ko means the modular form of a driver, before loading into the kernel. The
 slmodemd does not access the modem hardware directly. Rather access is provided
 through lower sophistication drivers. Prior to usage of a slamr driver, there
 must be a release of serial driver interference by loading of:  ungrab-winmodem.ko
 For PCI card modems with Smartlink chips the driver used is:    slamr.ko
 For USB modems with ID 0483:7554 use Smartlink driver:          slusb.ko
 For ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) modem drivers, see the Table below.

 Sasha's core resources are:
 ----------------------------
 ungrab-winmodem.tar.gz - for compiling a ungrab-winmodem.ko driver
 slmodem-2.9.11-MostRecentDate.tar.gz  - the core code resource for compiling
    and installing slmodemd, slamr.ko and slusb.ko.  The slmodemd dynamically
    creates ports and provides higher level COMM functions, after driver
 ALSA modem drivers, included with 2.6.n kernel+module releases.

 Some derivative resources at http://linmodems.technion.il/packages/smartlink/
 SLMODEMD.gcc4.1.tar.gz - containing a compiled slmodemd and usage instructions.
    When used with ALSA modem drivers, further compiling is not necessary.
    > SLMODEMD.gcc4.1.tar.gz will suffice for getting online, though read on about automation. <<< See Compiling_slmodemd below, for details.
 sl-modem-daemon-SomeVersion.deb - an installer for Debian related distros.
    It has slmodemd and scripts for starting slmodemd at boot.
    This package is also available from repositories of Debian related distros
    Ubuntu, Kbuntu, Ebuntu, Xandros, Kanotix and others.
 sl-modem-daemon-SomeVersion.tar.gz has the same contents, but is repackaged
    in an easily opened format, for access to its automation scripts.
    After unpacking, they are resident in the etc/  subfolder
 sl-modem-source-SomeVersion.deb - is a Debian installer for the slamr and slusb
    source code.  It is Not necessary for ALSA driver usage.
 slamr-KernelVersion.tar.gz - for several Ubuntu KernelVersions, containing:
    ungrab-winmodem.ko, slamr.ko, slusb.ko, slmomdem, setup script and as
    a convenience, the sl-modem-daemon-SomeVersion.deb.  Look in the folder:
    http://linmodems.technion.il/packages/smartlink/ubuntu/

 Slmodemd actions
 Start working with slmodemd with commands:
	slmodemd --help
        slmodemd --countrylist
 The long output can be written to a Clist.txt file with:
        slmodemd --countrylist &> Clist.txt
 Find your COUNTRY_NAME within the 2nd column if the list and record it.
 It will be used in capital letters during the modem setup command.
 Try USA if your COUNTRY is not in the list.

 Before modem setup root/adm capacity must be acquired with:
	su - root
 or by prefixing commands with "sudo" for Ubuntu Linux and its cousins.
 The setup command is:
        sudo slmodemd -c COUNTRY_NAME --alsa slmodemd_device
 if successful there will be reported dynamic creation of:
        /dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N    , with N a number
 The /dev/ttySL0 is a symbolic link to the real modem port /dev/pts/N ,
 and it is /dev/ttySL0 which should be named to dialup utilities such
 as wvdial.  The "--alsa" is only needed for usage with ALSA modem drivers.
 Throughout a dialout session  slmodemd MUST be kept running. Open another
 console/termimal to startup dialout software such as wvdial.

 The slmodemd device nodes
 ---------------------------
 The slmodemd_device is different for the several modem drivers.
 For usage with slamr.ko , the slmodemd_device is /dev/slamr0 , within
 the command sequence:
        sudo modprobe ungrab-windmodem
        sudo modprobe slamr
	sudo slmodemd -c COUNTRY_NAME /dev/slamr0
 For USB modem usage:
        sudo modprobe slusb
	sudo slmodemd -c COUNTRY_NAME /dev/slusb0
 For a modems using a ALSA driver, details are below.

 The /dev/slamr0 and /dev/slusb0 will be made the slmodem installation
 processes. However, they usually will NOT survice reboot, because
 most current Linux have ports created in volatile RAM space. However
 the these devices can be manually created under root/adm persmission with:
	sudo mknod -m 600 /dev/slamr0 c 242 0
	sudo mknod -m 600 /dev/slusb0 c 243 0
 if automation scripts are not yet in place.

 For automation of RPM using Linux distros see:
    http://www20.brinkster.com/olivares/slmodemd-setup-1.html
 For any Distro the following lines will serve in /etc/modprobe.conf or subfolders of
   /etc/modprobe.d/:
--------------
alias char-major-243 slusb
alias char-major-242 slamr

# The following  install and remove commands are to be written as single lines.
#    Preloads ungrab-winmodem and creates a device node upon "modprobe slamr"
install slamr modprobe --ignore-install ungrab-winmodem ;  modprobe --ignore-install slamr; test -e /dev/slamr0 || (/bin/mknod -m 660 /dev/slamr0 c 242 0 2>/dev/null && chgrp dialout /dev/slamr0)
# rpm using distros should use "uucp" rather than "dialout"

#     Removes slamr and ungrab-winmodem successively:
remove  slamr  /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove  slamr ;  /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove ungrab-winmodem

#	creates /dev/slusb uponn slusb driver loading.
install slusb modprobe --ignore-install slusb ; test -e /dev/slusb0 || (/bin/mknod -m 660 /dev/slusb0 c 243 0 2>/dev/null && chgrp dialout /dev/slusb0)
# rpm using distros should use "uucp" rather than "dialout"

 Usage with ALSA modem drivers
 --------------------------------
 See SoftModem.txt for a description of the hardware.  For a modem using
 an ALSA driver, the slmodemd_device only has to be  specified within the
 slmodemd command line.  A preliminary "mknod something" command is not necessary.
 The Table shows hardware PCI ID, its card type, driver and slmodemd_device name.
 The ALI5451 and HDA (High Definition Audio) cards can host softmodems. For these
 cards hw:0,0  is the audio card designation and the modem Subsystem on it
 is most commonly hw:0,1 , but there are some hw:0,6 cases. For the older
 soft modem controller family, the ALSA software first assigns hw:0 to an audio
 card, and the following modem designation is hw:1 or equivalently modem:1
 An attempt to use modem:0 may initially appear successful, but modem:0 or hw:0
 is actually the companion audio card.

PCI  ID      controller           ALSA driver      slmodemd_device
=========    ===============    ===============    ===================
several      HDA cards          snd-hda-intel      hw:0,1  or  hw:0,6
10b9:5451    ALI5451 audio      snd-ali5451        hw:0,1
------------------ softmodem controllers --------------------------
1002:434d    ATI                snd-atiixp-modem   modem:1
1002:4378    ATI                        "            "
1106:3068    VIA                snd-via82xxx-modem   "
8086:xxxx    many Intel         snd-intel8x0m        "
10de:00d9    Nvidia Corp            "                "
    SIS 630                "                "
   Others?                          "   test         "
* The scanModem script tries to determine ALSA modem driver and slmodemd_device
dynamically from /proc/asound/ information, or the internal Archive as a fallback.

 Do a precautionary unloading and reloading of the driver.
	su - root 	(not for Ubuntu)
	sudo modprobe -r driver
	sudo modprobe driver
 This precaution is sometimes necessary, because a driver may functionally die
 although loaded. But usually it can be skipped.
 For this System, scanModem deduced slmodemd_device is:  modem:1
 For most modems the setup command is:
	sudo slmodemd -c COUNTRY_NAME --alsa modem:1
 For modems on HDA cards, the command is:
 	sudo slmodemd -c COUNTRY_NAME --alsa hw:0,1
             though there have been cases of  hw:0,6
 For the ALI5451 hosted modems, a shortbuffer (-s) option is needed:
	sudo slmodemd -s -c COUNTRY_NAME --alsa hw:0,1

 The slamr diagnostic
 ---------------------
 Sasha has provided slamr.ko with a capability for reporting softmodem codecs,
 even for modems not supported fully by slamr. This is useful when other
 resources do not report out the modem codec, needed to distinguish between
 hsfmodem, slamr and ALSA driver support alternatives.
 This slamr test is Not effective for softmodems on HDA audio cards.

 The test routine is:
    sudo modprobe ungrab-winmodem
    sudo modprobe slamr
 followed by a readout from the dmesg buffer with:
    dmesg | grep slamr
 Among the few output lines, there is one like:
    slamr: mc97 codec is SIL27
 reporting in this example an ALSA driver supported, Agere Systems codec SIL27.
 Conexant codecs have format CXTnm, nm a number. These modems are not ALSA driver supported.
 Softmodems with all other codecs should be ALSA driver plus slmodemd supported.