David USA Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS kernel

Here is my Modemdata.txt file for you to look at.  I have tried to
figure it out, but I am still new to Linux.  I am operating Ubuntu
6.06.

Thank you for your help with this.

David
                The files in this Modem/ folder have the following
roles:

ModemData.txt - Diagnostics and accumulated information cogent to your
modem and host system.
     This is the ONLY file which should be sent to the List
DISCUSS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ,
     if further help is needed. Send your email and attachments as plain
text as
     other formats are rejected by the List Server, to avoid virus
transmission.
     Always send the ENTIRE ModemData.txt ,  as It includes subtle
diagnostic ouputs needed
     to best guide you. Please in the covering email mention your
Country, to enable Country
     specific advice.
     Always use the most recent update of scanModem accessed ONLY at
       http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/scanModem.gz
     to produce ModemData.txt
     URLs to cogent advice are regularly updated, so your problem may be
solved therein.
     Please Do NOT send  Do NOT send other files in this folder Modem/

A file(s) specific to your modem chipset will be written, such as:
  Smartlink.txt, Conexant.txt, Intel.txt , etc

YourModem.txt - Guidance about operating your particular System, for
your benefit
     It should NOT be sent to Discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rational.txt - Motivations of this scanModem package.

DriverCompiling.txt -  Explains the roles of additional files which may
have to be installed
   to support compiling of modem drivers, and the steps to take.

SoftModem.txt - Information and instructions about "soft modems".
     For these modems, additional steps may be necessary for choice of
supporting software.
     The primary PCI ID is that of the host audio or modem controller,
which can support diverse Subsystems. It is the chipset of the Subsystem
which determines the software needed.

ModemTesting.txt SHOULD be read, but after drivers have been installed.

InfoGeneral.txt has general information about the status of winmodem
support under Linux,
    Do read it if ModemData.txt  reports that your current modem is not
supported under Linux.

Unsubscribe.txt - Howto terminate email tranmissions from the List.

If you are Linux newcomer, please do locate your local Linux group
through:
    http://www.linux.org/groups/index.html  .  If you are not
comfortable with English,
    a local Linux user can often be of substantial assistance in getting
you on to the Internet.