Re: No response?

Kristien

Likely you didn't send earlier in PLAIN TEXT.  HTML is not forwarded
by the List server as if can harbor viruses.  For your modem
  Class 0780: 16ec:2f00 Communication controller: U.S. Robotics
     Primary PCI_id  16ec:2f00
Support type needed or chipset:	hsfmodem

From  http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads-ubuntu-x86.php
download hsfmodem_VersionSpec_k2.6.15_23_386_ubuntu_i386.deb.zip
                          with 2.6.15_23_386 equivalent to
2.6.15-23-386, your kernel version.
                          with 2.6.15_23_386 equivalent to
2.6.15-23-386, your kernel version.
Under Linux unpack with:
$ unzip hsfmodem*.zip
Then install with:
$ sudo dpkg -i hsfmodem*.deb
Subsequently, the modem should be found with
$ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
Edit in your personal information with:
$ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
and try dialing out with: