Re: modem not recognized. what now?

Claudio

On the System with Linux version 2.6.17-10-generic
scanModem could only detect PCI card modems, which were not detected.
Can you get any info from Microsoft diagnostics?

On the slight change that its a Controller chipset modem, try
$ sudo wvdialconf   /etc/wvdial.conf

If the modem is not detected, the next option to check is for a
Lucent/Agere DSP modem, which was common in older laptops.  First go
http://packages.ubuntu.com/ .  Search for  the package libc6-dev ,
download and install it:
$ sudo dpkg -i libc6-dev*.deb

Then go to http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodems/packages/ltmodem/kernel-2.6/martian/
and get the  martian-full-20061203.tar.gz   Under Linux unpack:
$ tar zxf  martian-full-20061203.tar.gz
$ cd martian-full-20061203
Read the info.
$  make clean
$ make
$  sudo make install

Driver insertion:
$ sudo  martian_dev
will work independent of the modem hardware. Then try
$ sudo martian_modem
It this succeeds with announcement of:
   /dev/ttySLTO -->  /dev/pts/N
it is Lucent/Agere DSP modem hardware.
However a failure would not be decisive, report back.

If a success:
$ wvdialconf   /etc/wvdial.conf
should find the modem.  Do an edit with
$ sudo gedit  /etc/wvdial.conf
to a form like the sample below.

Then try a dialout with:
$ sudo  wvdial

MarvS

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttySLT0
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = AT+GCI=59
# 59  is  Italian country code in hexadecimal
Init3 = ATQ0 V1 E1 X3 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
# the X3 is ofter necessary in Italy, specifying dial without dialtone
detection.
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Phone = 3015560020
ISDN = 0