Chad Robert, USA Puppy Linux

ModemData.txt file attached

Hi, and thank you for taking this email.
My modem shows up in Windows as a "US Robotics 56K Win INT".

I don't understand the modemdata text file. If you can tell me which driver I need I would be very happy. I'm really starting to get into *nix and find it a very exciting and rewarding experience!

Please, if you will, explain the important peices of the data file.

Thank you,

Chad Robert

Search for grocery stores. Find gratitude. Turn a simple search into something more. http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_gratitude&FORM=WLMTAG Only plain text email is forwarded by the DISCUSS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx List Server.
Do use the following as the email Subject Line:
          SomeName, YourCountry Puppy Linux
Linux 2.6.18.1 [i686 arch] kernel 2.6.18.1
This will alert cogent experts, and  distinguish cases in the Archives.
YourCountry will enable Country Code guidance.
Occassionally responses are blocked by an Internet Provider mail filters.
So in a day, also check the Archived responses at http://www.linmodems.org .
Local Linux experts can be found through: http://www.linux.org/groups/index.html
--------------------------  System information ----------------------------
CPU=i686,  Puppy Linux
Linux 2.6.18.1 [i686 arch]
Linux version 2.6.18.1 (root@puppypc) (gcc version 3.4.4) #1 Sat Nov 11 07:52:06 PUP 2006
scanModem update of:  2007_Jan_22

USB modem not detected.

Modem or host audio card candidates have firmware information:

PCI slot	PCI ID		SubsystemID	Name
----------	---------	---------	--------------
00:0f.0	12b9:1006	12b9:007f	Class 0780: 12b9:1006

Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:

--- Bootup diagnositcs for card in PCI slot 00:0f.0 ----

=== Finished modem firmware and bootup diagnostics section. ===
=== Next deducing cogent software ===

Completed candidate modem analyses.

A UDEV device file system is not active.

The kernel was compiled with gcc version 3.4.4 and a compiler is not installed

Kernel-header resources needed for compiling are not manifestly ready!

If compiling is necessary packages must be installed, providing:
	gcc-3.4 make kernel-source-2.6.18.1

For Debian and some related distributions, a package kernel-kbuild-2.6-3 may be needed to support driver compiling

Checking pppd properties:
	-r-xr-xr-x    1 root     root       356112 Aug  9 01:28 /usr/sbin/pppd

In case of an "error 17" "serial loopback" problem, see:
   http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodems/archive-sixth/msg02637.html

To enable dialout without Root permission do:
	$ su - root  (not for Ubuntu)
        chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
or under Ubuntu related Linuxes
	 chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd

Checking settings of:	/etc/ppp/options
lock
defaultroute
noipdefault
noauth
usepeerdns
modem
115200
crtscts
debug
asyncmap 0
name "barney"

In case of a message like:
  Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied
see http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-sixth/msg04656.html

Don't worry about the following, it is for the experts
should trouble shooting be necessary.

Checking for modem support lines:
    /device/modem symbolic link:
slmodemd created symbolic link /dev/ttySL0:
    Within /etc/udev/ files:

    Within /etc/modprobe.conf files:
alias /dev/modem ltserial
install slamr modprobe --ignore-install ungrab-winmodem ; modprobe --ignore-install slamr
    Within any ancient /etc/devfs files:

    Within ancient kernel 2.4.n /etc/module.conf files:

--------- end modem support lines --------