Re: rjefferey, USA Ubuntu 6.10, 2.6.17-10-generic

Hi Jacques,

After I ran scanModem I opened the Modem file it
created and I read 1stRead.txt. It directed me to the
other files and I found that the more I read, the more
overwhelmed and confused I became. I really wouldn't
have asked for help if I could have found it and I
have been spending nearly all day the past 4 days
trying to get this installed. I apologize for being
aggravated, maybe you can relate. Here...have a look.

RJ

-------
/lib/modules/2.4.27-3-386/build/include/asm/system.h:
In function
`__set_64bit_v ar':
/lib/modules/2.4.27-3-386/build/include/asm/system.h:190:
warning:
dereferencing  type-punned p
ointer will break strict-aliasing rules
/lib/modules/2.4.27-3-386/build/include/asm/system.h:190:
warning:
dereferencing  type-punned p
ointer will break strict-aliasing rules
amrmo_init.c: At top level:
amrmo_init.c:702: error: syntax error before "int"
---------
these were lethal, breaking compile of the driver.
Could be that this
code package is too recent to support the older 2.4.27
kernel.

There are two alternative routes.  You could try
compiling the older
slmdm-2.7.10.tar.gz   resource. Way as well try it.

But if it fails, I would recommend installation the
Very User friendly
Debian derivative Ubuntu Edgy with 2.6.17 kernel, with
much more
current hardware suport and again using the slmodem
package.  See
http://www.ubuntu.com/

MarvS

On 1/31/07, r jefferey <rjefferey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> MarvS,
>
> The attached file shows what I've done today. Should
> be concerned with the errors?
>
> Thank you,
> RJ
> --- Marvin Stodolsky <marvin.stodolsky@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > RE:
> >  Compiling resources appear complete:
> >   make utility - /usr/bin/make
> >   Compiler version 3.3
> >   kernel_headers base folder
> > /lib/modules/2.4.27-3-386/build
> > ------------
> > Good.  You are properly setup to compile the
drivers
> > now.
> > So the next steps are with the

> > $ ls
> > $ make clean
> > removes and old code debris
> > $ make
> > will compile the modem code, drawming on
components

wrote:
> > > MarvS,
> > >
> > > There seems to be a few changes to the file
which
> > is
> > > attached.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > RJ
> > >
> > > --- Marvin Stodolsky
<marvin.stodolsky@xxxxxxxxx>

> > attempt
The
> > far
> > night
says

<rjefferey@xxxxxxxxx>

had
> > things

> > and
> > since I

home

kernel-headers-2.4.27-3-386_2.4.27-10sarge5_i386.deb

> > read
what

> > software

> > http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
> > home
is:
automation

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/

the
> > line

for

Linux
> > and
setting
> > up a
> > Debian on
> > boots

> > files
Debian

Yahoo!
> > TV.

by
> > the
> > Subject
> > Debian
Code
> > by an
Archived
(root@lart)
> > Mon

> > have

> > ---------
> > 163c:3052
> > SmartPCI562

> > sharing:
> > ehci_hcd,

> > PCI

> > bootup
===

Smart
> > Link

> > Smartlink
> > Read
Modem/YourSystem.txt
> > for

> > active.

in

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-sixth/msg04656.html

> > other

> > is
necessary.

> > --------------------------------------

files:

> > files:

> > --------

> > email

> > > Finding fabulous fares is fun.
> > > Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel
> > sites to find flight and hotel bargains.

> > >  Only plain text email is forwarded by the
> > DISCUSS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx List Server.
> > >  Do use the following as the email Subject Line:
> > >            SomeName, YourCountry Debian
GNU/Linux
> > 3.1  kernel 2.4.27-3-386
> > >  This will alert cogent experts, and
distinguish
> > cases in the Archives.
> > >  YourCountry will enable Country Code guidance.
> > >  Occassionally responses are blocked by an
> > Internet Provider mail filters.
> > >  So in a day, also check the Archived responses
at
> > http://www.linmodems.org .
> > >  Local Linux experts can be found through:
> > http://www.linux.org/groups/index.html
> > > --------------------------  System information
> > ----------------------------
> > > CPU=i686,  Debian GNU/Linux 3.1
> > > Linux version 2.4.27-3-386 (root@lart) (gcc
> > version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)) #1 Mon May 29
> > 23:50:41 UTC 2006
> > >  scanModem update of:  2007_Jan_22
> > >

> > > USB modem not detected by lsusb
> > >
> > > Modem or host audio card candidates have
firmware
> > information:
> > >
> > >  PCI slot       PCI ID          SubsystemID
> > Name
> > >  ----------     ---------       ---------
> > --------------
> > >  0000:01:08.0   163c:3052       163c:3052
> > Modem: Smart Link Ltd. SmartLink SmartPCI562 56K
> > Modem
> > >
> > >  Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
> > >  11:          0          XT-PIC  ehci_hcd,
> > usb-ohci
> > >
> > >  --- Bootup diagnositcs for card in PCI slot
> > 0000:01:08.0 ----
> > >
> > >  === Finished modem firmware and bootup
> > diagnostics section. ===
> > >  === Next deducing cogent software ===
> > >
> > >  For candidate modem in PCI bus:  0000:01:08.0
> > >    Class 0703: 163c:3052 Modem: Smart Link Ltd.
> > SmartLink SmartPCI562 56K Modem
> > >       Primary PCI_id  163c:3052
> > >  Support type needed or chipset:        slamr
> > >

> > > The modem is supported by the Smartlink slamr
> > driver
> > > plus the slmodemd helper utility.  Read the
> > > Smartlink.txt and Modem/YourSystem.txt for
follow
> > through guidance.
> > >
> > > Writing Smartlink.txt
> > > ============ end Smartlink section
> > =====================
> > >
> > >  Completed candidate modem analyses.
> > >
> > >  A UDEV device file system is not active.
> > >
> > >  Versions adequately match for the compiler
> > installed: 3.3.5
> > >              and the compiler used in kernel
> > assembly: 3.3.5
> > >

> > >  Compiling resources appear complete:
> > >    make utility - /usr/bin/make
> > >    Compiler version 3.3
> > >    kernel_headers base folder
> > /lib/modules/2.4.27-3-386/build
> > >
> > > Checking settings of:   /etc/ppp/options
> > > asyncmap 0
> > > auth
> > > crtscts
> > > lock
> > > hide-password
> > > modem
> > > proxyarp
> > > lcp-echo-interval 30
> > > lcp-echo-failure 4
> > > noipx
> > >
> > > In case of a message like:
> > >    Warning: Could not modify
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets:
> > Permission denied
> > > see

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-sixth/msg04656.html

> > > Read Modem/YourSystem.txt concerning other COMM
> > channels: eth0
> > > Which can interfere with Browser naviagation.
> > >
> > >  Don't worry about the following, it is for the
> > experts
> > >  should trouble shooting be necessary.

> > >  Checking for modem support lines:
> > >  --------------------------------------
> > >      /device/modem symbolic link:
> > > slmodemd created symbolic link /dev/ttySL0:
> > >      Within /etc/udev/ files:
> > >
> > >      Within /etc/modprobe.conf files:
> > >
> > >      Within any ancient /etc/devfs files:
> > >
> > >      Within ancient kernel 2.4.n
/etc/module.conf

http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodems/archive-sixth/msg02637.html

> > To enable dialout without Root permission do:
> > 	$ su - root  (not for Ubuntu)
> >         sudo chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
> > or under Ubuntu related Linuxes
> > 	sudo chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
> >
> > Checking settings of:	/etc/ppp/options
> > asyncmap 0
> > auth
> > crtscts
> > lock
> > hide-password
> > modem
> > proxyarp
> > lcp-echo-interval 30
> > lcp-echo-failure 4
> > noipx
> >
> > In case of a message like:
> >    Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets:
> Permission denied
> > see

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-sixth/msg04656.html

> > Read Modem/YourSystem.txt concerning other COMM
> channels: eth0
> > Which can interfere with Browser naviagation.
> >
> >  Don't worry about the following, it is for the
> experts
> >  should trouble shooting be necessary.

> >  Checking for modem support lines:
> >  --------------------------------------
> >      /device/modem symbolic link:
> > slmodemd created symbolic link /dev/ttySL0:
> >      Within /etc/udev/ files:
> > /etc/udev/rules.d/60-symlinks.rules:# Create
> /dev/modem symlink

/etc/udev/rules.d/60-symlinks.rules:KERNEL=="ttyLTM[0-9]*",
> 		SYMLINK+="modem"
> >      Within /etc/modprobe.conf files:
> > /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:options snd-atiixp-modem
> index=-2
> > /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:options
> snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
> > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# Uncomment these
> entries in order to blacklist unwanted modem drivers
> > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# blacklist
> snd-atiixp-modem
> > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# blacklist
> snd-via82xx-modem
> >      Within any ancient /etc/devfs files:
> >
> >      Within ancient kernel 2.4.n /etc/module.conf
> files:
> >
> > --------- end modem support lines --------

TV dinner still cooling?
http://tv.yahoo.com/