Re: ModemData.txt

Joe

/proc/asound/card0/codec#0
Codec: Generic 1057 ID 3055
Address: 0
Vendor Id: 0x10573055
---------
describes your modem as having a Motorola ID 1057
softmodem chipset  0x10573055 on the HDA audio card

it is supported by the version 1.0.13  update of your current
snd-hda-intel.ko  driver,  with version:
$ cat    /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.10rc3

Your Compiling resources appear complete:
  make utility - /usr/bin/make
  Compiler version 4.0
  kernel_headers base folder /lib/modules/2.6.15-27-386/build
So you can update as follows:

From http://www.alsa-project.org/    download the version 1.0.13 driver
and lib packages.  Make a folder, say alsa/.
$ mkdir alsa
Unpack both packages in the alsa/ folder
$ cd alsa
$ tar jxf PATH_to/alsa*.tar.bz2
will unpack both.

Make a useful definition:
$  HEADERS=/lib/modules/2.6.15-27-386/build

Check for validity with:
$ ls $HEADERS
should show files like:
arch     include         lib             scripts
block    init            Makefile        security
crypto   ipc             mm              sound
drivers fs       kernel          net             usr
----------------
This definition does not survive a shutdown and must be redone upon reboot,
when a new driver compiling is necessary.

To compile the driver set, move into the driver folder:
$ cd alsa-driver-1.0.13
Look around:
$ ls
$ make clean
Do the configuration with with the following command on ONE LINE:
$ ./configure --with-kernel=$HEADERS   --with-build=$HEADERS
--with-cards=hda-intel
If the configuration is successful, the driver set will be compiled with:
$ make
Do nothing in the alsa-lib-1.0.13/  folder.  But it is used during the compile.

The new driver set is displayed by:
$ ls modules
and installed by
$ sudo make install

THen reboot to have the new drivers used.  Again run
./scanModem

there should an  device specification  N suggested for:
$   slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa hw:0,N
when N will be likely 1 or 6
And the modem should be shown by
$  aplay -l

Try the command:
$ su  root
#   slmodemd -c USA  --alsa hw:0,N

Hopefully its will announce port creation

Follow through with the guidance in the SLMODEMD-gcc4.tar.gz

MarvS
scanModem maintainer