Re: jfdesign, Indonesia Mandriva 2006.0 kernel 2.6.12-12mdk

Jusuf,
I do not understand.
Please do the following and tell me exactly where the problem is:

1-Type /sbin/lsmod . This shows the modules present in memory. Do you see snd-via82xx-modem in the output?
You can save the long list by just typing   /sbin/lsmod | grep modem

2-If it is not there,    modprobe snd-via82xx-modem

3-Try to connect: start slmodemd as usual wvdial (kppp if you use kppp). Success?

4-Reboot

5-Repeat #1 above .  /sbin/lsmod | grep modem  . Is the driver there?

6-Repeat #3. Success? Then I do not understand why you write:
"But why I have to :
> 	Modprobe -r snd-via82xx-modem
> 	Modprobe snd-via82xx-modem
> Each time after reboot, if doesn't the slmodemd cannot find the device ???"
 since obviously slmodemd DOES find the modem (module snd-via82xx-modem).

Or are you asking why do you need to start slmodemd after each reboot
although snd-via82xx-modem is already in memory?

It is trivial to start slmodemd automatically at boot if you do not care for the resources (memory, cpu) which it takes when not in use.

The file from which you started, SLMODEMD... , contains instructions and example on how to do that (paragraph number 4 in file README).

You can also start the modem connection automatically, by the same method, if you do not care paying for the communication while you do not use it.

Jacques

Jusuf wrote:
Thank you Mr. MarvS.
Now my second laptop's modem works too. :-)
Using 2.6.12-12mdk good, upgrade to 2.6.17-5mdv also works perfectly.
This is the aplay -l results :
card 0: V8235 [VIA 8235], device 0: VIA 8235 [VIA 8235]
  Subdevices: 4/4
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 0: V8235 [VIA 8235], device 1: VIA 8235 [VIA 8235]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: modem [VIA 82XX modem], device 0: VIA 82XX modem [VIA 82XX modem]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
And the slmodemd command from SLMODEM.GCC4.tar.gz :
	Slmodemd -c INDONESIA --alsa modem:1
Will turned on the modem.

But why I have to :
	Modprobe -r snd-via82xx-modem
	Modprobe snd-via82xx-modem
Each time after reboot, if doesn't the slmodemd cannot find the device ???

But, thank you anyway Mr. MarvS.

Cheers,

jfdesign