Re: DJW, USA, Ubuntu 6.06 LTS kernel 2.6.15-23-386

David,
The principle is very simple.
The way to apply it depens on which X11 windows manager you use (Gnome as I do, KDE as I never do, et...).
Using a text editor write a new file named for example wvgo
Insert these lines
#!/bin/bash
sudo modprobe snd-intel8x0m
sudo slmodemd --alsa -c USA modem:1
sudo wvdial
exit

If you named it wvgo as suggested, make it executable with
chmod a+x wvgo

Now copy it for example as
sudo cp wvgo /usr/local/bin/wvgo

So far, all that is "trivial"
If you would like to start from a terminal, you would just need to type
wvgo or possibly sudo wvgo (I am not familiar with Debian/Ubuntu deviations from plain Linux).

But you want it to be triggered by an icon.
I can tell you for Gnome.
Right click the menu bar where you have icons
Select "Add to panel"
Select "Launcher"
Fill in what you want in the various boxes except "command" which would be: /usr/local/bin/wvgo or possibly sudo /usr/local/bin/wvgo
Also, enable   "run in terminal".

You can use that tool to select some icon, like gnome-modem.png for example.

I hope this answers your question.

Jacques

David Wagler wrote:
OK, it's working now.  Thanks for your patience and help.

In order to access the internet, it is now necessary to open a terminal window, and enter these commands:

   sudo modprobe snd-intel8x0m
   sudo slmodemd --alsa -c USA modem:1

Then open another terminal window, and enter:

   sudo wvdial

Is it possible to set something up so that clicking on an icon in the task bar will do all this? I am pretty much of a newbie at Linux, and will need pretty explicit instructions.

I looked at a number of posts in the Ubuntu forums, and found out how to launch wvdial from a task bar icon, but it wasn't clear how to combine all three commands.

Again, thanks for your help.
Dave

Jacques Goldberg wrote:
David
I am awfully sorry.
Overloaded with work I typed   Carriage Check = no instead of
Carrier Check = no
Can you please correct, retry, and return to us if necessary?

I again apologize for this stupid mistake which I made.

Jacques

David Wagler wrote:
Something still isn't right. The /etc/wvdial.conf file and the 'sudo wvdial' terminal log are attached. As for the "Name, password pair incorrect" message, the name and password in /etc/wvdial.conf are the same used by my WinXP dialer. The last set of messages repeats until the terminal window is closed.

Jacques Goldberg wrote:
Dave,
First, congratulations for having read scanModem and done the right thing. But please let me verify one detail: have you stopped slmodemd with CTRL-C before trying to connect? slmodemd must be left active in its own console/terminal/window/xterm/you_name_it. In your place, because wvdial is much better at debugging than other dialers, I would, in an additional console, once slmodemd is running, launch sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
If wvdialconf finds your modem, your modem works.
Then, edit the file /etc/wvdial.conf
Make sure that you have a line
Carriage Check = no
Remove the leading ; in the username, password and phone number lines.
Replace the complete placeholders ( < > suppressed!) by your parameters.
Save
Now run    sudo wvdial
and if you cannot work send us the file /etc/wvdial.conf WITH PASSWORD ERASED and the text spilled out by the console where you started wvdial .

Jacques

Dave wrote:
I have a new Ubuntu installation in a Dell M675X laptop, and have not been able to determine how to make the winmodem work. I ran scanModem, and the results are attached. This is a copy of the terminal log of what I did after looking at the results of scanModem:

   dave@dave-GatewayU:~$ chmod a+x /home/dave/SLMODEMD.gcc4
   dave@dave-GatewayU:~$ sudo cp /home/dave/SLMODEMD.gcc4/slmodemd
   /usr/sbin
   Password:
   dave@dave-GatewayU:~$ find /usr -name slmodemd
   /usr/sbin/slmodemd
   dave@dave-GatewayU:~$ sudo modprobe snd-intel8x0m
   Password:
   dave@dave-GatewayU:~$ sudo slmodemd --alsa -c USA modem:1
   SmartLink Soft Modem: version 2.9.11 Mar 13 2006 18:27:33
   symbolic link `/dev/ttySL0' -> `/dev/pts/2' created.
   modem `modem:1' created. TTY is `/dev/pts/2'
   Use `/dev/ttySL0' as modem device, Ctrl+C for termination.
   dave@dave-GatewayU:~$

Upon navigating to the Modem connection Interface properties window and clicking the _A_utodetect button, no modem can be found. If the modem port is set to /dev/ttySL0, the modem connection cannot be activated. If the modem port is set to /dev/ttyS0, the modem connection can be activated, but the ISP is still not dialed.

What have I not done or done wrong?